1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Too many numbers?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spnited, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

A wise colleague of mine once told me that a good rule of thumb is no more than two different numbers per sentence, and no more than one numbers-y sentence per paragraph. I'm not always letter-pefect in following this rule, but I try to observe it whenever possible. I've found it makes stories a lot more readable.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Good job. ;)

3. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I agree. I read a lot of stories that appear to be those math word problems we love so much. Two trains leave the same station at 1 p.m, one is going 40 mph, the other 50 mph, what will be the distance between the two trains at 2:30 p.m. if one is headed east and one west?

One thing I think that is missing with stats is context so what if a guy has 17 hits in his last 30 at bats, has he done something different to set him on his path or did they just happen? What is he doing that the others have not?

5. John

John Well-Known Member

I'm not a box score guy -- you could dump the agate page and I wouldn't mind -- but I do like some cool stats to throw in a gamer. However, A-Rod's batting average in interleague play isn't a cool stat. Nor was the Morris deal.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

And the A-Rod stat the does belong in there -- his insane 9th-inning numbers, because he did hit the tying HR in the 9th -- is missing!

7. chazp

chazp Active Member

Agreed. A notebook or as a short side bar.

8. joe king

joe king Active Member

Actually, one detail of the actual game is relevant -- it went 12 innings, making it far easier to spread out a lot of hits while giving up few runs.

And, Dooley, is statistication a word? If not, good job coining one. I'm heading for the dictionary right now.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Not a word as far as I know. But it should be

Draft saved Draft deleted