1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Too late for a career change?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by anotherbucket4monsieur, Feb 5, 2011.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I've never done that, myself. But I did a little magazine writing early in my career, and I've done a bit of it lately in the course of freelancing.

I know that, for most magazine writing (where a travel feature would probably play best), good query writing in making your story pitches is at least as important, if not more so, than whatever clips you might send.

2. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Perhaps doing some enjoyable freelance work on the side to make some bonus money would be a good option, but investing in becoming a journalist if pretty risky business considering the state of the industry.

3. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

When I was clicked on this thread, I was expecting to see another journalist trying to get out of the business.

I guess this is the equivalent of "Man Bites Dog."

4. geddymurphy

geddymurphy Member

Wait, wait -- a career change INTO journalism? Where you can be among the least experienced of the 200 people applying for a $30,000-a-year job covering a mid-major college basketball team with some desk work on the side?

Indulge your writing wishes with a blog and some occasional free-lance work. If the blog is unique and well-written, maybe you'll get some interesting opportunities. But, and I mean this with no disrespect toward work I haven't even seen, don't quit your day job.

You might not get rich writing a blog on the side, but you don't have to invest a dime.

5. blog415

blog415 Member

I say have a blog and get traffic and hits off your blog and make money off ads on your blog

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

How much can one realisticly expect to make from a blog? I'm not being sarcastic. It's a legit question.

7. geddymurphy

geddymurphy Member

Very little, unless you get into Deadspin traffic. As much as we hear about SB Nation, a lot of their bloggers are getting pennies.

I suggested it only to have an outlet for his writing and perhaps -- if he's lucky -- a way to get discovered.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

That's what I assumed. Just wanted confirmation.

9. As much as I loved my time as a full-time sportswriter, there's no way I can envision making a a return.

It has taken more than two years since my sudden layoff to come to terms that a chapter in my life has come to an end. I've run the emotional gauntlet, and while I still freelance on occasion, the peace needed to move on with no regrets has finally arrived. I lived a dream and reached a top 10 daily.....that's an experience that no one can take away.

As long as you're breathing and active, there is no such thing as "too late." Your new path awaits you. Go find it.

10. Geddy, my day job is doing freelance work, so there is nothing to quit. I'm trying to figure out how to translate my freelance experience into a full time gig. Most posters seem to think that pursuing a grad degree is not the answer.

As for starting a blog, I'm not sure I see the point. My objective is to make money, not pursue a hobby. Also, the act of writing itself is just part of what I enjoy about being a freelance journalist.

11. geddymurphy

geddymurphy Member

Some people have been able to use blogging as a shortcut to getting that full-time job. It's a good way to stand out from the crowd. I've seen several people (not a ton, but several) go from independent blog to paid blog network to full-time position.

What was Nate Silver making for political analysis when he started FiveThirtyEight.com? What's he making now that it's part of the NYT?

Draft saved Draft deleted