1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Too Far From Home — a reading of sorts

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JayFarrar, Dec 21, 2007.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

So for Book Club I selected Jonesy's Too Far From Home for the month and we met this week to discuss it.
    The guys in the group loved it. I mean every male who read it, thought it was fantastic. One guy even thanked me for picking it since he thought it was so good. The book was curiously hidden in the science section of the local Barnes and Noble and not in non-fiction.
    The guys gave it the highest score this year and put it in the running for book of the year.
    The girls did not.
    I thought it was interesting. The girls got hung up on fashion details. Like one part where it said that tool belt held up the astronaut's pants. She said a tool belt wouldn't hold up pants.
    The guys enjoyed the explanation of how to poop in space, the girls did not.
    The girls were not disappointed that Jones didn't explain zero G space sex, the guys were. We would have liked to see a full chapter, graphic as possible please.
    All and all, I'd say that if you have some time over the holiday or need something to read on the plane, I'd recommend Jones's book.
    Quality stuff.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I'm a girl (duh) and it was my favorite book of the past year. And not just because I got my copy autographed on my birthday. :D

3. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

What IJAG said (although I am not lucky enough to have autographed copy).

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

My copy's not autographed either, but next time Jones rolls through town to get body parts removed, I'll be ready.

5. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

interesting jay...

yeah, i played into all teh stereotypes, too -- i loved the pooping in space and was disappointed not to get video of the space sex

6. Jones

Jones Active Member

I would submit to those bitches that a "belt full of tools" is different from a tool belt.

That's a joke, mostly. But thanks for posting this, Jay. It's interesting for me to know -- I thought the Micki Pettit stuff would appeal to the womenfolk and the pooping to the men. I guess I was right about the pooping.

The whole book-writing experience has been pretty hardcore. Very weird to think of people actually reading it, which I know sounds dumb, but it's true. I never think about people reading my stuff. But there you go. I've been book clubbed!

Draft saved Draft deleted