1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Too bad it was only pepper spray

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Baron Scicluna, Sep 4, 2010.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I don't know if he's a Phelps supporter, but this is the kind of wingnut I had in mind:

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Besides Yawn, is there even one other conservative on here who is concerned with gay marriage?

I don't recall anyone else railing against it.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I've never heard of that dude. When I googled him, I found he doesn't even have a wikipedia entry.

He's no leader on the right. He's not representative of the right. He's a nobody.

I'll bet I can find any number of folks on the left saying similar things. You don't think I can find an African American Minister saying something similar.

It proves nothing.

Westboro Baptist never had support from the right. Never did. Never will.

You should just retract your original statement. Nothing you've posted since has backed it up.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Last I checked, presidents can't just say "Let it be so" and make law by fiat.

The last one tried.

5. I guess my only surprise on this thread is people responding like this is a new phenomenon.

The Westboro nut-cases have been doing stunts like this forever. The Supreme Court is on their side. The issue being debated so passionately here has already been legislated, litigated, debated at length and decided.

A free country allows crazy people to offer their crazy thoughts in public. (Or crazy pastors to burn the Koran, or whatever). But it also allows groups like the Patriot Guard to offer a peaceful, uplifting alternative.

The Patriot Guard has largely rendered the Westboro clan irrelevant and ignored. That's they way it should be. The pepper-spraying guy only served Westboro's purposes by putting them back in the spotlight again.

6. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Obama is half-assing gay marriage because Rahm Emanuel won't let him support it. The Democratic enthusiasm gap you see in the polls is the result of Obama listening too much to Emanuel, who calls liberals retards. If the Dems lose Congress, he needs to kick Emanuel to the curb along with Rev. Wright.
    Back on topic...the Phelps crowd uses these kids as human shields. That's why we haven't had bloodshed.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Someday somebody will get one of them alone, and it will be Louisville Slugger time.

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I really think the government in general has handled this very well. You have to respect their free speech rights, but you don't have to let them wave their signs directly in the face of mourners. Laws forcing them a reasonable distance away from the services have been passed and upheld.

Draft saved Draft deleted