1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tony Stewart-Kevin Ward incident

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bubbler, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

You can still see the video on Deadspin:

http://deadspin.com/reports-tony-stewart-ran-over-opposing-driver-during-1618893708/all

Stewart plans to race Sunday, according to Fox Sports. And Ontario County says its investigation is "not criminal":

http://www.foxsports.com/nascar/story/police-investigating-sprint-car-incident-involving-three-time-nascar-champion-tony-stewart-081014

2. mb

mb Active Member

Will be very interested in the drivers' reactions. He might be able to get off from a legal standpoint with any number of excuses. But, if it was intentional, the garage will know.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Between a slick track and it being night, and an inoperable car stuck on the track and cars to your left, there was little wiggle room. Watched the video 10 times and it looks like Stewart didn't see the kid till too late and tried to swerve to miss him.

4. SellOut

SellOut Member

Stewart can be a prickly pain in the ass. Do I think he did anything intentionally here? Probably not but I think it wouldn't be past Stewart to try and intimidate the guy. But the fact the other cars were able to miss Ward while the entire field was under caution and Stewart did not is troubling. If I were him, I'd lawyer up.

5. SellOut

SellOut Member

Watching the deadspin video, there were six other cars that avoided Ward. Maybe Tony saw him and tried to avoid him. Or maybe he thought fishtailing the guy would scare the shit out of him. Either way, how this isn't at least manslaughter is beyond me.

6. mb

mb Active Member

It's awfully hard to read the Tyler Graves commentary, see the video, and not think he's right on the button. Sure seems like Stewart was hauling ass to me.

7. mb

mb Active Member

My waaaaay-too-early thoughts ....

- you'll never be able to convict in court of law.
    - despite that, still have to try.
    - will the rest of the garage convict him, though? Does he become persona non grata?
    - how can you sponsor his car after this?

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'd have to watch it again, but didn't the other cars avoid him because Ward didn't approach them like he did once he saw Stewart coming around?

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

ESPN's morning coverage revolving around about how awful Tony Stewart must feel.

10. SellOut

SellOut Member

Hmmmm, who is broadcasting the race today? Oh, right ... Wonder what coverage would have been like if this was next year, when ESPN starts treating NASCAR the way it does every other sport it doesn't hold the broadcast rights to. Imagine it would be a little less Smoke-friendly.

11. mb

mb Active Member

My, God, ESPN. Enough about Stewart's passion for racing.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Just watched ia handful of times and think you -- and Graves -- are right.

Draft saved Draft deleted