1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tony Stewart crashes in race, breaks leg

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Aug 6, 2013.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Four-car wreck in a race at Southern Iowa Speedway.

http://es.pn/14ftU6f

Left the track in an ambulance. ESPN ticker says he was airlifted to the hospital and had surgery on the leg.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Stewart-Haas Racing: Broken tibia and fibula in right leg.

http://bit.ly/13CluWN

3. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

He was involved in a big wreck just last week Sprint race, and all the talk then was whether or not he should still be doing all the racing he does. It's unfortunate he was injured, but let him race. Stewart is one of the last true racers out there. The rest are cardboard wannabes that got lucky enough to land a career in NASCAR. Sure, they can drive a race car, but that doesn't make them racers. Stewart doesn't fly off to his yacht or play much golf or whatever. His life is racing. In this case, a dangerous avocation got the best of him, and it will impact his vocation. That's life. Let him race.

4. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

For years I've wanted Smoke to return to open-wheel racing full-time, since that's clearly where his passion is. But racing in NASCAR gives him the money and exposure to allow him to expand his empire like he has. There's a lot more clout being a three-time Winston/Nextel/Sprint Cup champion than being a three-time IndyCar champion.
    Further, it's a lot bigger deal for a local short track to announce a three-time Cup champion is coming vs. a three-time IndyCar champion is coming.
    I hope Smoke continues doing all of the side racing, but I'm worried about the pressure he'll get (especially from sponsors) to curtail that part.

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

His owner should fire him for reckless behavior! :)

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I have made it since last August without seeing more than four laps, total, of NASCAR. After 7-8 years of inhaling it for pay, it has been RIDICULOUSLY wonderful. However, just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in ...

Max Papis to drive for Stewart this weekend.

7. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

I like how he called all the reporters "mortals" outside his hauler, and that "when there's something to report, we'll tell you." You can take the driver out of the Saturday night dirt tracks, but you can never take the Saturday night dirt tracks out of the driver. If it weren't for NASCAR, these guys would be chasing each other around with tire irons every weekend and the local bull ring. What a clown shoe.

Draft saved Draft deleted