1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tony Romo - welcome back to earth

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by lantaur, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm not comparing him to Warner, I'm just saying he's gone from zero to hero faster than anybody in recent memory. Warner would be the only other guy who had a first season track like Romo's in terms of national publicity.

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

No, no. Warner had three magnificent seasons. From 1999-2001, he was unquestionably the best QB in the game.

3. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Romo's going to the pro bowl based on 4-5 very good games in the middle of the season. Why can't they wait until after the regular season to name the pro bowl teams?

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

They need to give the players time to find an excuse to get out of playing in it.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I heard some guy named Tom Brady won the Super Bowl his first year as the starter. He's probably not as famous as Tony Romo though.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

My point is Romo's getting a lot more ink for doing a lot less and I don't understand why.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

romo's like a perfect storm. parcells is the most espn-followed coach in captivity. t.o. is espn's player obsession. the cowboys, for better or worse, remain "america's team." add it all up, and you get.....

TONY ROMO BEING THE GREATEST QB IN NFL HISTORY AFTER NINE STARTS!!!

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Gotcha, AQB. I didn't get that from your post. It sounded like you just thought his rise to notoriety was the fastest, not necessarily fast and undeserved.

Of course, if the Cowboys win the Super Bowl, it may be deserved after all, but I'm more of a let's wait and see type of person, rather than annointing him half-Unitas, half-Jesus or something like some in the national media (cough, ESPN, cough) do.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yeah, that would be it. Well said.

But no doubt, this guy had received a tremendous amount of hype in proportion to what he's done.

11. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

The QB situation in the NFC is so pathetic, Romo would would have made the Pro Bowl even if the voting was in January.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Slightly off topic, but in watching Parcells the past few weeks, he seems to enjoy when his QB struggles. It is almost as if he'd rather have good fodder for his press conferences as to why Romo is overrated than actually winning the game.

Draft saved Draft deleted