1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tony Kornheiser Sucks on MNF

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bd11, Sep 19, 2006.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

MUCH too harsh on Kornheiser.

2. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I actually love PTI.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yeah, it's not like I tape it every night or anything, but there's a hell of a lot worse out there than PTI. You've got two fairly intelligent, established sports journalists hitting all the big and not-so-big stuff in the sports world in a half-hour.

And I'd sure as hell rather listen to it than hear Mariotti and Woody Paige try to outshout each other.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Theisman should be turfed. Guy's a drooling idiot. Tony K's fine.

PTI is a terrific show and, hey, Tony waves his Canadian flag at the end.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

As it applies to MNF, I don't think so. He has no paticular football expertise or unique point of view on football. He's the proto-type of the sardonic sports columnist. It travels well to PTI, but on MNF, he's lame.
    Part of the problem is that Theesman is just another dumb jock without intelligent shtick.
    Put Tony and Wilbon on MNF and load the graphics inlieu of a play by play guy and you've got interesting. Wilbon does know football. He was a local beat writer and national correspondent for NFL and maybe even covered the University of Maryland; and Tony can push his buttons.

6. tommyp

tommyp Member

Love the idea. And considering the road ESPN is taking, it would fit well into its 'entertainment first, sports second' credo.

Having said that, I think when Matt Millen is finally fired, he would be a great foil for Tony.

7. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

As a suffering Lions fan, I don't want to see, or hear, Matt Millen anywhere. Millen ain't got nothin' on Norm Chad.

8. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

First, please on Norm Chad. His act grew old 20 years ago.

One thing, looking back on this thread, is the whole Dennis Miller comparison. I like Dennis Miller and Tony K I think is OK on PTI. But on MNF, Kornheiser just talks too much. He's not an NFL guy; he should pick his spots and throw in little jabs instead of trying to take over the broadcast. I guess that's why I never minded Miller - he just picked his spots.

Of course, Miller never had to interview Jim Belushi and Jeff Gordon in the booth, so not sure if he would be worse than Tony on that one. :)

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Good night, Canada!

I love TK on PTI, but him being paired with Theisman on MNF sucks. I say bring Wilbon on next year.

Draft saved Draft deleted