1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tony Kornheiser STFU

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, May 18, 2011.

1. Maybe he was just trying to fill air time, but for whatever reason TK ripped into Colts owner Jim Irsay.
    He took Irsay to task for his statement that he and Jeff Saturday could hash out a labor agreement on a napikin over drinks at a bar.
    TK scoffs at this (Ok), but then launches into a tirade about Irsay as an owner and how inherited the team.
    It's pretty clear (to me anyway) TK has no clue. Jim Irsay has been a pretty good owner, one of the best IMO, and far, far better than his dad.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/05/17/tony-kornheiser-calls-jim-irsay-bozo-irsay-calls-kornheiser-bully/

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

"Yes, Mr. Snyder . . . would you like your 9-iron, or your wedge?"

SU, Uncle Tony.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I thought Jim "Hic" Irsay was sober now.

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Kornheiser the journalist would hate what the current Kornheiser has become. All he does now is rant and rave and pass judgment on things while taking shots at those he doesn't like and protecting those he does. He's just a grouchy fraud anymore.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Actually, I believe Jim Irsay that he and Saturday could hash this out. Irsay can play the owner game -- after all, he did at least mention L.A. during the course of getting the deal done for the new stadium. But compared to most owners, and I know I'm damning with faint praise, he was a lot less mercenary than he could have been.

However, if Irsay talked like his tweets, the biggest problem to overcome in direct negotiations would be his incoherence.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I worked with a copy editor who knew TK pretty well and he said that even early on, TK was always about getting paid and doing as little work as possible to get paid. This was right around the time Pumping Irony and one of his other collections were coming out.

I think TK may be very happy at the career he's had, even if he's now a long way from being a journalist.

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I agree with Kornheiser that two people, or a small group, that do have their personal pride at stake because they will be deemed to have "lost" these negotiations, could come to an agreement that's satisfactory to both sides in a few hours. Don't care one way or the other about much else he has to say.

8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

This is at least a step in the right direction for Tony. Every time I've tuned in his show in the past six years he's been bitching about some rich guy problem he had, or talking about his score on some private country club his audience could never gain access to. At least he's in the ballpark again.

9. GidalKaiser

GidalKaiser Member

I know. It's incredibly sad.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

What the players are fighting for is a little more important than a little bit of glib time at a bar.

If it's so easy, then Silver Spoon (and that could be Jim or Peyton now that I think about it) should just ante up lifetime full health care for any football player to make an active roster, make all contracted money guaranteed and cut the season down to 14 games. Then let the people with business experience divide up the details.

I guess that is easy.

11. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

So you're saying he's like the average journalist on this board.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The idea that two groups of people arguing over the division of about $10 billion a year can easily reach agreement through informal discussions is close to literally insane. A person who buys a house without a lawyer's help is a fool. If I'm an owner or player, I'd want to kill anybody on my side who thinks a cocktail napkin deal is fine with them.

Draft saved Draft deleted