1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tony Dungy woudn't want to "deal with" Michael Sam

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

Marriage is a right?

I'll agree if we're talking about "run down to the courthouse and get hitched."

States like Virginia, which just got spanked again on its gay marriage ban, need to get with the program.

As a religious ceremony, it's most definitely not a right but a privilege.

2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

You do know that you typically get legally married after (and sometimes before) a religious ceremony, right?

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Say what?

4. Hokie_pokie

All I was saying is there are two different versions of marriage.

One absolutely should be a right. If the state is gonna "bless" a marriage between a man and a woman, it shouldn't be able to deny the same legal status to a homosexual couple.

Where I think this issue goes off the rails is "marriage," as in stand up in front of a church and take vows.

This is in no way a right, as any Roman Catholic or Orthodox Jew can testify. I had to jump through about 6,432 hoops to marry a Catholic girl.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

homosexuality is neither right nor wrong, it simply is. To think or believe it is wrong is bigoted.

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

And to deny someone work opportunities based on that is both immoral and illegal.

7. Hokie_pokie

That's your opinion. Doesn't make it right, unless I missed how you were appointed aribiter of such matters.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Then go sue the 31 NFL GMs who were, you know, in position to draft him and didn't.

Marginal players are denied all the time if other issues influence their worthiness as a draft pick or free-agent signing. Chad Johnson eventually became a marginal enough player that his "distractions" superseded his worthiness to be on an NFL roster. In his prime, no distraction was too great that any NFL team would deny him a roster spot.

Not drafting someone is not denying him a work opportunity. Any undrafted player can sign with any team that will sign him.

Kurt Warner was not drafted.

9. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

Are gays then intolerant of people who advocate traditional marriage and oppose anything else? They don't fit "their moral universe."

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Was anybody even suggesting that churches should be forced to perform gay marriages? I guess that is what you are talking about.

The discussion is of legal marriage for same-sex couples, thus providing the same legal rights and protections afforded any other married couple.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

They are not advocating denying legal rights to those people, so no, it isn't even close to the same thing.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

thinking its wrong is an opinion too. Its just a wrong opinion.

Draft saved Draft deleted