1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tony Dungy woudn't want to "deal with" Michael Sam

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jul 21, 2014.

1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I think this is a stretch. I didn't take that away from Patrick's interview with Dungy at all.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That just means less time they'd be able to film him without the approval of the team, which they could have withheld.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm wondering how much skill you would need to be "worth the distraction" of drafting if you're openly gay? Second-round talent? Third?

4. SnarkShark

This is the crux of it. He said he would not give him the chance, then comes back with a statement saying, "The best players make the team, and everyone should get the opportunity to prove whether they’re good enough to play. That’s my opinion as a coach."

If he has the talent to make the team, even as a practice-squad player, he should have the opportunity, which Dungy said he would not give him because of the "distraction." Sure, he got picked in the seventh round, but I remember talk of him going as high as the fourth or fifth. I am far from an NFL talent evaluator, but I think the SEC Defensive Player of the Year should probably be able to make one of the 32 teams in the NFL.

The "distraction" of him being open about who he is shouldn't factor into the decision at all.,

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

and that he wouldn't have given Sam a chance based on an immutable characteristic of that particular person. Whatever he now says 'distraction' means, it means Dungy lacked the moral backbone to deal with a situation because it may make him or others uncomfortable. An uncomfortablilty born from ignorance and or hate. And let me be even more clear, a religious objection to homosexuality is an objection based on blind ignorance. A similar blind religious ignorance used to justify slavery, that the White European Man was given dominion over the beasts and the Negro was more beast than man, therefore not made in God's image and thus subject to the dominion of those that are God's caretakers of the Earth.

Fuck Dungy and his ignorance and bigotry. Go back to counseling alcoholics, drug abusers and wife beaters to keep them eligible for Sunday (or Monday Night or Thursday Night)

6. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Do people think the media outrage over this is about 100X higher than how most people feel about it.

I don't get the sense that too many "regular" people think what Dungy said was that bad.

Does anyone think he's in danger or losing his job? I'd be stunned, but anything is possible these days.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Sam: "Thank God he (Dungy) wasn't the St. Louis Rams coach."

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/07/michael-sam-responds-tony-dungy

8. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I wonder if this hurts Dungy's HOF chances.

9. heyabbott

Dungy will not lose anything, he is numinous to ESPN and the NFL's partners. At this point in society those that oppose equality for gay men and women are in the minority, but I think that as many people are in favor of equal rights as those that are agnostic on the issue. Minimal backlash for Dungy unless he's called upon to save another player for next week's game soon. I don't he comes to the aid of a heterosexual player who is accused of a sex offense or domestic violence anytime soon either. Those damn straight athletes can't keep their hands or dick to themselves.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, sure, but he has "no bitterness or animosity toward him"

11. heyabbott

Dungy's playoff records will take care of that. Or it will establish the precedent that if you win one SB, you are a HOF coach

12. SnarkShark

"Regular people," throughout history, don't seem to be bothered by intolerance if it is the status quo.

Draft saved Draft deleted