1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tony Dungy: Michael Vick wants another chance

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Starman, May 13, 2009.

1. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

You did dismiss his dominance as a runner. What YOU personally well documented in here was his passing statistics and gave a minor blurb to what he did as a runner.

Yet in the grand scheme of things, he gave teams headaches with that ability just as a Drew Brees does as a passer.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

People in Hell want ice water.

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

He'll play QB in the league again, if for no other reason than great running skills in a wildcat crazy league right now.

He struggled with the short/intermediate throws, but he did some stuff throwing the long ball I've seen few ever do. Recall one game several years ago where he threw from his 20 to the opponents 20 on the run, on a rope. Hardly any loft at all.
    I'm pretty confident he still has skills that will be used on Sundays.

Maybe he spent a lot of his down time practicing the short throws. Problem is, as someone was once quoted, all the guys in prison just want to run the 250 yard outs.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You just keep on seeing what you want to see. If I had left it out completely, THAT would be dismissing his running skills.

I'll take Brees over Vick in a heartbeat. It's not even close. A quarterback has to be a passer first and Vick is always going to be a liability in that area. Give me a team that can pass but has a mediocre or worse running game any time. See the Arizona Cardinals this past season, with the league's worst running game and a statue at quarterback. They were a bad read by Kurt Warner at the Pittsburgh two away from winning Super Bowl XVIII.

Take a look at the Steelers, known for their run-first philosophy. In the seven playoff games during their two most recent Super Bowl runs, they had exactly one 100-yard rushing performance, their divisional-round victory over the Chargers this past season.

I think some team will give Vick another shot. But unless he suddenly learned how to complete over 53 percent of his passes, he is still going to be the same flashy-but-mediocre quarterback he always was.

5. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

You completely left out his running statistics, opting to focus on what he didn't do well and getting detailed about that side of his game. Who are you fooling?

Vicks success at the QB position was changing that "fact" and before his imprisonment, he was going through the bumps and bruises of "most" starting qbs who start off their careers as average and below average passers. B-b-b-b-ut you're CERTAIN he'll always be a liability at that for arguments sake.

6. outofplace

Again, in your inability to handle seeing poor Michael Vick not get his due, you are seeing things that aren't there.

His last season before going to jail, he completed 53.2 percent of his passes, the lowest percentage of his four full seasons as an NFL starter. He threw for a very pedestrian 2,474 yards. He did reach 20 touchdowns for the first time, but his overall passing numbers really didn't show the improvement you are claiming.

But hey, I'm sure the time in jail helped him to improve his accuracy and his ability to read defenses.

7. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Here's the strawman set up.   I can get into nerd mode and post his gaudy running stats and numbers.  Did defensive coordinators not take that into account when having to face him under center?  Of course they did.  Did they gloss over his impact against their defenses?  Of course they didn't.  did you elaborate on that part of his game outside of blowing it off into one sentence?  Indeed.

Did you know that Roddy White led the league in dropped passes during Vick's tenure there?   Of course you didn't.  He always had the potential to be the receiver he was last year, but went through what most young receiver who go through early in their careers.

Like I said....you focus on what he did throwing wise, but neglect what he did on the ground.  While he "threw" for a certain amount of yardage, couch it next to what he ran for and you'll see his impact, which you again minimized, is beyond the passing chart.

And please....you don't know the future.  The guy fukked himself without question, so I'll put an end to the absolving him of blame game before it starts.  But to write him off with the certainty that he couldn't have become a better passer is complete and utter bs.

8. outofplace

It's called an opinion. My apologies if you can't handle those who disagree with you expressing one with conviction.

Funny how you went right into excuse mode for Vick as soon as I pointed out that the statistics didn't back up your argument about what you think Vick was becoming before going to jail. Does Chuck_Taylor know you are angling for his role as SportsJournalists.com's leading Vick apologist?

You are arguing for what you think he might some day do. I will stick to what he has done, which as a passer isn't much.

9. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

You have tough time responding to posts without making some surely comment about ones make up.  Your opinions are nothing to handle.

Pause

I guess this is the part where you dress up my points in some "making excuses" costume.  The facts are that Roddy White lead the league in drops during Vicks last full season with the Falcons.  The facts are that Alge Crumpler was Vick's main target.  The fact is while you point out the 2474 yards he threw for, you purposely and selectively neglect that he rushed for 1039 yards.  But that only counts when it comes to defensive coordinators who had to gameplan around those rushing yards, not to the all mighty OOP.

I'm not going to address the rest of your worthless post.
    That Chuck_Taylor, SportsJournalists.com rhetoric is pretty useless to me.

10. outofplace

I guess this is where you address another post that doesn't fit into your love of Michael Vick as "worthless."

You were making excuses to try to cover up the fact that Vick's statistics did not reflect the improvement you said was there. It's not like Vick had great receivers before that season, yet his completion percentage declined and his yardage total stayed at its usual mediocre level. Even with your excuses, the statistics do not back up your point.

And in my most recent post, we were not discussing Vick's running skills. We were discussing your suggestion that Vick had shown improvement as a passer. His rushing stats are irrelevant to that point, though you drag them in because it is the only impressive statistic you can find related to Vick.

How many passes did White drop, by the way, since you are so wrapped up in that? I'm asking out of curiousity. Enough to get Vick's completion percentage over 55?

Also, I wonder how many of those "drops" were balls that White got his hands on even though they were off target or short balls that were thrown too hard, two things that were very common with Vick throwing the ball. Accuracy isn't just getting the ball where your receiver can get his hands on it, it is getting the ball where he has a good chance to catch it. But subtlety isn't exactly the friend of the Michael Vick passing experience, so you may have missed that.

Once again, you are getting yourself wrapped up in potential while I am sticking to actual production. You dream about what might be. I'll stick to what is.

11. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Is Michael Vick *entitled* to a roster spot? No. No one is. Should he be kicked out of the league permanently. No. As has been pointed out, there are plenty of icky folk in the NFL who never sniffed a prison. Vick committed a crime. He got caught. He went to jail. If some team wants to sign him and see what he has left, at this point who cares? Will this become a sore point for the NFL because of animal rights activists? Probably. But if Ray Lewis can be in the league, then Michael Vick sure as hell can.

12. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

You gave half truths with your statistics.

Why not present his passing numbers next to what he did as a runner?

Did he not run for 1039 yards that season?

Answer that.

Do defensive coordinators game plan around his running ability controlling a game no differently than how'd they'd game plan around a prolific passing QB controlling the game?

Answer that.

To answer those questions would move you from using the "you're making excuses for him" crutch to speaking on facts.

I'm sorry, I was talking about Michael Vick and his OVERALL production at the QB position, not engaging in the partitioning of his skills like yourself (SOLEY on his passing stats) where you only focus on the things he didn't do well.....just to win an argument on SportsJournalists.com.

Draft saved Draft deleted