1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tonsilitis veterans

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Platyrhynchos, Apr 29, 2007.

1. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Those of you who have had tonsilitis — how did you know you had it? Were they removed?

I ask because I am in an incredible amount of misery right now. Can't swallow without squinting and wincing, and this feels nothing like the general run-of-the-mill sore throats I've had. So, my best guess is tonsilitis. But, any confirming tidbits of info you can throw my way would be appreciated.
    FWIW, I have a slightly elevated temperature, nothing major.

Naturally, I get this crap on the weekend when doctor offices are closed.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Go to Doc Talk's Web site and find your answers. Or find Doc.
    There's a thread on the journalism topics board.

3. Platyrhynchos

Yeah, I saw that, but I thought that was just for getting medical info to back up/enhance articles we were writing. Didn't know it was for personal use.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Doc will talk to you, too. And he knows his shit. Give it a whirl.

5. Platyrhynchos

Maybe I should.
    My voice sounds like I'm going through puberty all over again.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

You need a strep test....if you can't wait until tomorrow, go to the ER (sorry Doc, I know that's not what the ER is for, but when you gotta get that Z-pack...)

Even if it's not strep, a good blast of antibiotics can usually zap a throat infection....unless it's a virus, then you're screwed.

Any other symptoms? Stomach ache? Cold? White spots in your throat?

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Could be mono. Seriously.

8. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I had my tonsils removed when I was 6. I just always thought it was something most people have done.

As someone battling my own throat infection right now, you have my sympathies.

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I second this. The only sign that I had mono was that my throat swelled almost shut and I had white spots on my tonsils.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I don't remember white spots, but I do remember a sore throat that was worse than anything else I've ever had.

Dude, you been getting some ass?

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

12. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Sore throats are no fun and can hurt terribly. Unfortunately, it is a coin toss, looking at a throat to decide if it's a strep infection v. a viral one. I agree that another diagnosis to consider is infectious mononucleosis, nit there should be systemic symptoms including, fever, chills and aches to name a few.

Antibiotics are an interesting topic. The drug of choice is Penicillin V (adult dose, 500mg twice a day for 10 days) but some ENT docs prefer clindamycin especially if tonsillitis is associated with infectious mono. For strep, the antibiotics do not shorten the course of the sore throat symptoms, but instead prevent rheumatic fever, a post strep infection of eh heart valves...scary, huh! Since the advent of the antibiotic era, this is a rare event. And as it turns out, you have a week from onset of symptoms to start antibiotics to protect the heart.

It's a good sign if you've lost your voice. Laryngitis is almost always viral.

Instead of an ER, consider a walk in clinic to get a quick strep screen. Some of the minute clinics staffed with PAs and NPs in pharmacies and supermarkets, may also provide the test.

Finally, the symptomatic treatment is always, fluids, gargles, ibuprofen and time.

Draft saved Draft deleted