1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tonight's poker bad beat

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HackyMcHack, Sep 25, 2011.

1. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Bar poker ... down to four players. Top three get paid. I'm tied for short stack with another player with roughly eight big blinds. Second place has a little more. First place, an old man hunched over his chips, had most of the chips, far and away, after catching all sorts of cards all night.

I'm in the big blind. Everyone calls. Flop comes three diamonds. I'm holding K-9, both diamonds, for a flush. Figuring that someone wasn't going to have A-something suited diamonds to beat me at that point since nobody opened earlier, I push all in.

The other short stack folds. So does second place. But old man ... of all people ... calls. As I figured, he didn't have suited diamonds. But he did have the ace of diamonds ... a winner if another diamond hit the board.

The turn bricked. The river? Sure enough, the 2 of diamonds. He catches his backdoor flush, and I'm sent to the rail as bubble boy.

Sure, it was a good call on his part. I would have called if the roles were reversed. But that was a bad, bad bubble....

On that note, there has to be some better bad beat stories out there.....

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

In Biloxi, all-in on the turn with the best full house. Guy pulls the fourth jack on the river to beat me on a one-outer. That's all I got. Bad beat stories are like fantasy football story re-tells. Others rarely care.

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

So there I was, MNF with only Hines Ward left...

4. maberger

maberger Member

M and all and discussions about equity blah blah blah -- old-guy's worse than 2-1 dog on the flop. Maybe it's a good call depending on who his stack goes to and how strong a player you are and it's worth it to get rid of you, but i cant see where that's ever a good call.

ETA: it is a bad beat for you -- but not as bad as when he calls you on fourth street. you played the right way.

5. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Any tournament, where at four-handed, there are four limpers ... well, none of you are allowed any bad beat stories.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

My worst beat story: KK pre-flop and all in. Called by JJ. Flop has a king ... Turn and river are the last two Jacks.

Draft saved Draft deleted