1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tommy John Surgery

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, May 9, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I second the quality of Tommy John the person. I covered a team on which he was the pitching coach. And I spoke with him for a story and then the occasional chit chat. Great, nice man. He had all kinds of stories.

2. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Don't cover girls volleyball Mr. Know-It-All. But now that you've put me in my place isn't there a Whitlock thread for you to piss all over you bitter old fucker? Oh yeah, if you writer features, are you a featurewriter or feature writer? Hockeywriter or hockey writer? Baseballwriter or baseball writer? Sports writer.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

It is sportswriter:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sportswriter

Now why don't you go find someone who had Tommy John surgery on their shoulder.

4. TwoGloves

Just as soon as you go fuck yourself.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Sorry, Pete, but if the guy claims to have been in the business for 25 years and still thought Tommy John surgery was on the shoulder, I've got to question what the hell he's doing in this business.

Maybe it has to do with him being a sports writer, not a sportswriter

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Two words in Webster's New World, the source for most newspapers.

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Always use the brand name "Tommy John" and the people at TJ Worldwide will send you a big box of logo t-shirts and mesh caps!

8. TwoGloves

To be honest, I hadn't thought of Tommy John, his shoulder, elbow or any other part of his body for years until I saw this thread. I admitted I fucked up and said it was shoulder surgery instead of elbow, yet you make a federal fucking case over it. I guess that means I'd better find a new job since I don't live up to the standards of some bitter old man I've never met. I'm done with this crap but you keep it going.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

To be fair, the fact that Tommy John surgery is on the elbow is something a person who's been in this business for 25 years ought to know.

And you don't have to be bitter or old to make that point.

10. DougDascenzo

DougDascenzo Member

Learning something new every day is never a bad thing.

T_G, "Tommy John = elbow" is today.

Fuck the haters.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This is how Mark Everson described it in today's Post:

"I'm pleasantly surprised with how I feel," said Pavano, who underwent a Tommy John elbow ligament transplant June 5, 2007, seemingly putting a final seal of flop on his four-year, $40 million signing.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/08082008/sports/yankees/pavano_solid_in_trenton_start_123519.htm

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Good thing Bob Owchinko wasn't the first to undergo this surgery. I can't imagine people calling it Bob Owchinko surgery had that happened.

Draft saved Draft deleted