1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tommy Bowden has been fired

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by prezclinton, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Harper is a better quarterback than Bowden is coach.

Bowden is an awful coach. His brother, jerk as he may be, has twice the mind.

2. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Next year in Clemson
    Expectations will be low
    Time to make a play for ...
    UVa coach Al Groh!

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Worst. Haiku. Ever.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

My sources say Rich Rod to Clemson, Miles to Michigan, Saban to LSU and Lane Kiffin to Bama.

My sources also say I'm a good looking, wealthy man.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Um, no. From the updated story...

6. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

And it always seemed his job-saving win was against his father and FSU.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

So is there toilet paper in the trees at Toomer's Corner yet?

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

All anecdotal and less than meaningless: A co-worker has a son at Clempsun and he's in a bunch of classes with football players. I've been hearing for weeks how Bowden lost his team.

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

F_H, no doubt. But we were talking here in the office...for a college coach to "lose the locker room" takes an awful lot of doing.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

He shoots ... he scores. Well done, Joel.

MU also nailed it. If Terry Don keeps Tommy, Clemson rallies just enough of the season to make it a no-win situation. Either come off like goons and coldly dump him, or re-sign him - again! - only to continue to underachieve, or at least in the eyes of Clemson/IPTAY.

Bring back Danny Ford isn't that big a stretch. Clemson's fans would love nothing more than a Ford disciple - of course, doing better than Tommy West would help. I'm still convinced the only reason Ken Hatfield didn't succeed was because Clemson's fanbase didn't like him because he wasn't Danny. Dumb, dumb, dumb ... but this is a delusional fan base that never has gotten over the fact that when Florida State came into the Atlantic Coast Conference, Clemson's days as the ACC football bully were over.

I'm glad MU chimed in. I'm willing to bet Tommy Bowden is a great guy, and is probably off-the-charts relieved that he's rid of that complete mess.

Clemson has all the coaching pressures of a football factory, but little to show the last few years. Ratcheting down the expectations might help a new hire better ease into the situation and give someone a better chance to make Clemson what IPTAY and the others think it should be. But I wouldn't hold my breath counting on that to happen.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Thought is was Climpson... that's what Jim Tom wrote...

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

It is if you're down south. I don't have that accent.

Draft saved Draft deleted