1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tommy Bowden has been fired

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by prezclinton, Oct 13, 2008.

1. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

Did you read the whole thread?

I still don't think it's acceptable for the media to know before the QB does. The QB should get a call or make a visit to the coach's office as soon as he decides to make the change.

2. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Who broke the story? Where, exactly, did the media pick as the right spot to inform him he was benched? Was it in a column of opinion?
    I mean, really. Where exactly was it reported and did Classy Cullen read about it?

3. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

He started 17-1 by coasting on Barry's coattails. He is 7-7 since. His mediocrity would be a perfect fit for Clemson.

4. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

I'm with everyone who says Bobby Johnson is the obvious choice here.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Thank you Dools. I was going to make this crack if I read that quote one more time on here. Each time, posted breathlessly!

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Dabo Swinney? That goes down in ACC history with Peahead Walker as great coaches' names.

7. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

You know what's sad is, as bad a X's and O's coach Bowden was, he did put together a tremendous recruiting staff (Swinney being one of the keys). It will be a shame to see that group broken up.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I still have that photo of Bowden's daughter.
    Breathtaking.
    I'd post it, but it is so NOT SAFE FOR WORK that it is laughable.
    Suffice to say, she's nekkid as the day she was born and about as much body hair.
    Seems like a jealous ex-boyfriend put the photo out on the inetrweb.

9. mb

mb Active Member

Figured I'd stop back by just to see reaction to this bombshell. Figured I'd clear this up, since I'm close enough to the situation. I'm pretty sure this is how it went down ...

Bowden made the announcement of the QB switch on his weekly teleconference. When asked how Harper took it, he said he hadn't told either of the QBs yet.

Folks around here are pissed because it's pretty transparent he only made the announcement only to get the heat off his ass for falling to 3-3, 1-2 with a team that was the overwhelming ACC title favorite and believed (at least by the orangefolk in these parts) a darkhorse national title contender. Logic being, if you're going to make the switch, keep it as quiet as possible as long as possible -- don't give Ga. Tech eight days of prepwork for the switch to a dual-thread QB from a pocket QB.

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Clempsun should hire Bobby Bentley to reunite him with Willy Korn.

I keed.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

One can link on this board. Just sayin'

12. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

And its not her.

Draft saved Draft deleted