1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tom Hanks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jul 9, 2006.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

The scene where they hear the song on the radio for the first time and all wind up in the appliance store is one of my favorite movie scenes.

Looking at the movie titles on this list, I can't have seen even half of his stuff.

Didn't he win an Oscar for Philadelphia?

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Forrest Gump
    Apollo 13
    Big
    Splash
    Bachelor Party

I wasn't as big a fan of Philadelphia, and I absolutely hated Joe Vs. The Volcano.

But I have to give extra credit to Sleepless in Seattle. Any movie out there that features an a special relationship between a father and a son is dear to my heart.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Yep.. went back to back with Gump.

4. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Not a very big Hanks fan, but here goes...

1. Cast Away
    2. Saving Private Ryan
    3. Apollo 13
    4. Toy Story 2
    5. Bosom Buddies

1,432. Forrest Gump

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Bachelor Party. God that movie rocks.

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Personally, I loved "Man with One Red Shoe" and "Dragnet." Of course, I was like 11 when they both came out.

And there's some deep philosophical shit in "Joe Versus the Volcano." You'd have to have a brain cloud not to see that. Very, very underrated movie.

Having not seen SPR, here's my top five:

5. Nothing in Common
    4. Big
    3. Punchline
    2. Sleepless in Seattle
    1. Philadelphia

7. Mutah

Mutah Member

WHA?!?!?!
    Security!

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I know. That's bad of me. Never got to see it in the theater, and I wasn't going to just watch it on TV.

My brother's got a mini-theatre set up in his basement. I may try to watch it there sometime.

9. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

He may win Oscars and Golden Globes, but to me he'll never escape being the alcoholic Uncle Ned drinking maraschino cherry juice and cough syrup on "Family Ties" ...

10. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

SPR
    A league of their own
    The green mile
    Apollo 13
    Big

11. tmunson

tmunson New Member

1. Forrest Gump
    2. Apollo 13
    3. Saving Private Ryan
    4. Philadephia
    5. Nothing in Common (w/ Jackie Gleason)
    6. You Got Mail
    7. Big
    8. The Green Mile
    9. Castaway
    10. Sleepless in Seattle

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I'd have to bump "Nothing In Common" back onto my list too.

Not so much for Hanks, who was still raw and fresh from TV-sitcomland at the time, but for Gleason, and Eve-Marie Saint, who were good as the parents -- two people who loved each other, in certain ways, who belonged together in certain other ways, but who really couldn't live with each other any more.

Gleason, if nothing else, was doing a riff off of "The Poor Soul" and some of Ralph Kramden's more subdued moments. Not his greatest, but much like John Wayne in "The Shootist" and Henry Fonda in "On Golden Pond," a worthy coda to his career.

Draft saved Draft deleted