1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tom Gage out as Detroit News' Tiger beat writer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Hank_Scorpio, Feb 10, 2015.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I would guess one will be Tom Gage. Who are the other two?

2. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

What a classy farewell column. That's why you should never burn bridges even though as a human being you'd sure like to. My guess is he'll either again be hired quickly by somebody or he'll be like the many other veteran superstars forced out of the business. You can say what you want about all the other lousy professions, but sports writer truly is the worst job on earth. It annually flip flops with lumberjack on that yahoo list of 200 worst jobs in America.

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay, I sleep all night and I work all day.

donjulio15 likes this.
  4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Not even close. It's rough now for a professional job, but it doesn't sink to the level of some of the brutal labor work.

5. donjulio15

donjulio15 Member

Some Fourth of July Jackyl. Nice!

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Heathen!

7. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I love the way the News when it replaced Tom was talking about sometimes they like to switch things for a "fresher perspective." That is such classic insulting bullshit. You know a guy who is a Hall of Famer is still writing fresh stuff. He wasn't mailing it in. He was winning awards left and right and excelling. I love the way newspapers think they need a "fresh" perspective and get rid of a guy like Tom. The Dodgers don't feel the same way about Vin Scully, they cherish the ones who have the experience. That's why newspaper reporter is the worst job on earth by far. No support from up top.

donjulio15 likes this.
  8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I try to do as little of this as possible any more.

But I really, really wish you had to dig ditches or collect trash for a few months. Oooo, I'll do you one better. Do a few months of hospice work.

Draft saved Draft deleted