1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tom Dempsey... 63 yarder?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Columbo, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Hed bust

Hed bust Guest

What's most unique to me is that the record occurred "in the elements"
    These dome kickers have such an advantage, over the course of a season
    The kick by Dempsey was placed between the yard lines, so it might should have been a 62-yarder.
    It was inspirational either way.

2. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Whatever.

3. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Tex Schramm made that very argument back in the day and got pilloried for it.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

So Tex should have cut half off half his kicker's foot, and half of his right arm, off so he'd have the same advantage.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

No, but I gotta remember to use the sarcasm font every time I post that one on a thread like this ...

6. Johnny Dangerously

Amen. Didn't kickers buy square-toed shoes in those days anyway, to give them a flat surface to kick with?

7. patchs

patchs Active Member

I still get goose bumps when I hear it.
    "What a play!, what a play! Send that play to Canton."
    Hard to believe it was 25 years ago last Tuesday.
    If the NFL ever sold actual games with the original play-by-play, I'd pay $100 for that one.
    Saddest I've ever been after a loss.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Our paper would have sucked the life out of that quote by making a note of it and running it as follows: "Send that play to Canton (Ohio, home of the Pro Football Hall of Fame)."

Heck, for all I know, it did. I wasn't here at the time. I'll have to check. :p

9. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

As most Broncos and Browns fans can attest, Rich Karliss (or was it Carliss... or whatever) had the barefoot rocking. Even on the cold, hard sod of old Memorial Stadium.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

ain't that the truth.

"Hall of Fame call!"

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Rich Karlis. Nice guy ... met him once when he needed to rent a car. Seemed amazed I remembered that he kicked in Denver (we weren't too close to the Rockies where he needed a vehicle).

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

damn johnny, yes, yes you do have to remember to use the font when writing such words about that fateful swing in chavez ravine.

in my lifetime, there aren't all that many great dodger moments in which to cling.

Draft saved Draft deleted