1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tom Dempsey... 63 yarder?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Columbo, Jan 6, 2007.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Alex Karras loved to say he half-heartedly rushed Dempsey, but in the photos and videos I've seen, he looks like he's straining pretty hard to get his hand up high enough to block the kick.

[​IMG]

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

You can't just agree, huh?

Someone yesterday accused me of never agreeing with anyone. Forgot who that was.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

What I find interesting is most holders today have the knee farthest from the kicker on the ground. Scarpati has the other knee down. That's how I remember holding when I was a kid, but when I was messing around with a college punter (and holder) not long ago, he said, "Hey, you've got the wrong knee on the ground."

Oh, and it was probably some drunk asshole who said that yesterday. :D

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Actually, Matt Bryant does too.

[​IMG]

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I'll ride with ya.

6. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

I'll say this, and not just because I practiced for hours upon hours during high school as a straight-ahead kicker...

It amazes me that one of the oldest records in football - it's going on 37 years - is Dempsey's kick. I think it's terrific, actually. Here you have a guy who had half a right arm and a club on his foot, and he was able to kick the ball straight for 63 yards. As anyone who kicks straight ahead, the ball has a better chance of moving off target than a soccer-style kicker - hence why there hasn't been a straight-ahead kicker since Mark Moseley retired in '87.

But not only that, Dempsey actually tackled. Some of you may remember I collect original broadcasts of games, and I have a Cowboys-Eagles MNF game from '74 (when Dempsey was with the Eagles) and he actually made a bunch of tackles on kickoffs. It's amazing.

And Scarpati set that down on the 37. I read somewhere that Dempsey told him to back up an extra yard so he could get the necessary height.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

On one hand, I think it's great and inspirational that Dempsey hit the 62- 63-yarder.

On the other hand, I sort of thought it was like having a sledgehammer at the end of your leg and being able to swing that at the football. Know what I mean? Flat surface, and a lot of it, to put on the ball.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I've read that before here and there, and some people have questioned that. I don't recall where, it's something I would have to Google, but you're definitely not alone in thinking that.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Who was the guy who used to kick with his bare foot? I remember he once appeared (and sang) in a Wheaties commercial:

"Before I kick with my bare feeties, I get the eaties for my Wheaties."

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Tony Franklin of the Eagles, I think, was the most famous barefoot kicker. There were a few others.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

sadly, that's loser talk. last i checked, you could leave the box after you hit a ball.

not only can you see him make contact with the ball before his back foot leaves the box, you actually hear contact as well ... unless you're going to come up with a grassy knoll argument.

12. Can this stop now?

Draft saved Draft deleted