1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Toledo football coach Amstutz resigning

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hank_Scorpio, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

http://www.mlive.com/newsflash/index.ssf?/base/sports-31/122572434871930.xml&storylist=newsmichigan

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Good. Asshole.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

They have been one of the most enigmatic football teams this season. Coming into the season, they didn't look to be a very good team. But they took care of Eastern Michigan with a thumping, almost as a statement that they weren't on that low a level, and then they played that overtime game against Fresno that they lost 55-54, when everyone still thought Fresno was a top 25 team. They followed that up immediately, though with a blowout loss to Florida International, who admittedly is a little better than people thought they were at that point, but still... and a shutout loss to Ball State, which would have been fine because Ball State is the best team in the conference. But just as you were figuring they were a just bad team, they pulled off that win against Michigan at the Big House, and as bad as Michigan is this year, it was still Big 10 recruits versus MAC recruits. Two weeks ago, they played Central Michigan, which is also a better team (second best in the MAC) really tough at the Glass Bowl and lost by one. They are 2-6, but it may be the prettiest 2-6 you can possibly compile. They only have conference games left. I wouldn't want to play them, because on any given week, you don't know if a really good team or a really bad team is going to show up.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

How did I know that would be your response?

:D

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Not because he beat Michigan...

6. I Digress

I Digress Guest

Sad day when a guy known as Tom Toledo loses the only job he ever wanted

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Amstutz and Fulmer should go at it in the heavyweight cage match of coaches who lost their jobs today.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Is the loser Charlie Weis' lunch?

9. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Anybody who can beat Michigan by only three points probably deserves to lose his job.

10. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Good. It seemed he always beat my BGSU Falcons. I say good riddance.

11. cubman

cubman Member

Best thread of consecutive LOL responses ever.
    I can't side with the person who called Amstutz an asshole; when I was at Toledo doing the games on student radio, he was one of the nicest coaches to be around. Being one booth over from him during games was an incomparable experience. The amount of cookies the man went through in one game was staggering.
    The asshole then at Toledo was Gary Pinkel. Unless he's mellowed considerably, I'm sure he still is one now. The man was loathe to treat most of those around him with any sort of decency, yours truly included. I laughed every time his coaching blew games Toledo should have won and enjoy watching Missouri do the same now (no offense to any Mizzou alums here).

12. Damn, a friend of mine is an assistant there.

Draft saved Draft deleted