1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Toledo asks Big East to vacate Syracuse's win

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dr. J, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Dr. J

Dr. J Member

Didn't see this anywhere else, but Toledo is making a stink about the "extra point" that led to the Orange's win over the Rockets on Saturday.

http://www.utrockets.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=18000&ATCLID=205288884

Even though the extra point came with two minutes to go, and Toledo still got the ball, doesn't mean that Toledo would have won the game. They kicked a fg instead of going for the win, and both teams recieved the ball in ot. I have a feeling that the the Big East is going to screw Syracuse because of their move to the ACC.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

That might've been the single most inexcusable blown call I've ever seen. For cripes sake, you've got a ref whose only job on kicks is to stand under the goal post and look up to see if the ball went through the uprights or not and, even on the extraordinarily unlikely event that it's missed the first time, the play is reviewable on instant replay. How the fuck could multiple officials view that repeatedly and none see that the ball obviously didn't go through?

Don't believe the result will be vacated, that'd be opening too big a can of worms if we start retroactively changing game outcomes based on blown calls. But if there ever was a case where a reversal might be justified, that game was it.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

If Missouri's "fifth-down" loss to Colorado didn't get vacated, this surely won't.

4. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I'm certainly biased here, but they won't vacate it...

But it has nothing to do with Syracuse going to the ACC. It was a big-time blown call, and in this day and age it's going to get media coverage.

I know it's a whole other sport, but if they didn't give that kid a perfect game last season when the ref blew the call at first base, and that didn't even alter the result of the game, they're not going to start changing things now.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

You can't assume that the game would have played out in exactly the same way, so there's no way this works. You could easily make the case that Syracuse plays defense differently if they know a field goal beats them, rather than just forcing an overtime. (It would probably be much more difficult to make the case that they would have played defense any more successfully, but that's neither here nor there.

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Toledo is pissed, but nothing will happen. Which is sad.

7. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Saw where the Big East's officiating coordinator said he "was confident that we will learn from this mistake."

He should have said, "I'm confident that I'm firing a replay official and suspending some officials for the rest of this season."

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You mean, the game that happened before conferences adopted instant replay for disputed plays?

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yeah. Not that I'm bitter or anything.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Of course, if it was DeWayne Peevy in charge, he'd ignore the on-field result, change the final score in the press guide and ignore what the NCAA rules -- just like he did with Cal's vacated wins at Memphis...

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Good point though. Maybe this will get overturned....

...nah, it won't.

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Yeah, not so much. They still were in a situation where they needed to prevent a field goal on that final possession to prevent the tie/overtime, and Cuse was still playing defense to prevent the field goal, not prevent formations guarding only agains the TD. In that situation, it is extremely unlikely that their defensive formations would've been any different at all.

Obviously we can't know with 100% certainty, but there's absolutely enough here to justifiably say that Toledo was screwed out of a win. Their field goal on the final play of regulation won the game but for the blown call.

Draft saved Draft deleted