1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Toddler falls to death at Lakers game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NoOneLikesUs, Nov 22, 2010.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

It is amzing how high a 2 or 3 year old can climb.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Would you have sued your friend if something awful were to happen?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Suing your friend and suing the Staples Center is completely different, JC. Not even in the same ballpark, so to speak.

4. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

It's going to be much tougher to recover from your friend as a social guest in his house. The law involved between that scenario and the one at Staples Center are going to be totally different.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

People got on the Big Ten because it finally dawned on them that maybe having the end zone six inches away from a brick wall wasn't a safe idea ... the day before the game.

Had they originally said no due to safety issues, no one would have gotten on their case. Instead, everyone focused on the nice shiny object, until the day before.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Why? If you feel the need to blame somebody else, why are they so different?

Ultimately you are responsible to protect your child, I understand how quickly they can get away from you and I'm not necessarily saying these parents are awful but to blame the Staple Center, to me , is ridiculous. You are in a luxury suite 50 feet up, unless something structureally gave way, I don't see how you could sue.

7. JackReacher

1. You have an emotional connection to your friend, making it less likely to go for a money grab.
    2. Staples Center has way more money than your friend. Unless your friend is Tiger Woods.

Completely different situations.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

So then it is simply about the money.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Last summer, my family and I went to a baseball game, sitting in the upper deck in the outfield. At the barrier of the upper deck was a sign warning fans about foul balls, which I could see, and flying baseball bats.

I pointed it out to my dad, and joked about how the bat would have to fly about 400 feet from the hitter in order to get us. But I knew why the team put it there. They did it so they could claim not to be legally responsible if on the billion-to-one chance that someone did fling a bat up in the upper deck.

10. JackReacher

Sure. It can be. The allure of possible millions (or whatever large sum of cash might be involved) can be strong. That's my point

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I just noticed that the glass is much higher in the handicapped section than the luxury boxes.

I am going to guess that the code requires the height of the handicapped section, but the lower glass was put into the luxury boxes for improved sight lines.

Hell, what is to prevent a grown person falling out?

I'm also wondering if there is some language in the contract when renting the box about the age of people attending.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

and if they are definately at fault fine. But if it is because you turned your back for 2 seconds and your kid climbed over a railing then personal responsibility should take over.
    I know personal responsibility is a foreign concept to many these days, not a shot at you Sonner, just a shot in general that the first reaction is to sue and blame other people rather than looking at themselves. If the Staples center is structureally at fault then sue the shit out of them.

Draft saved Draft deleted