1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today's typo, or why Lean Dean needs more copy editors...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by slappy4428, Feb 17, 2011.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Presented without comment from this morning (maybe a snort or giggle)...

[​IMG]

It's gone in some places, but it's still here for now

2. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

How about presenting it in a readable size? Or including a link?

3. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Brings up a bigger question. What kind of copy flow do you/should you have for online media? Do you ask reporters who blog, twitter, etc. to run their posts by a copy editor before posting? If so, how does this change the copy editor's job description.

Currently, the policy at my shop is to post away and self-edit, but please pass any "story-length" post by a copy editor.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

If you can't find it in the picture he submitted, you probably need to find a job far, far away from the copy desk.

5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

mustang, in HD's defense, it looks like his post came before an edit. It's my guess slappy had the link ony at first and then added the photo in response to HD's follow-up, which came about two minutes after the first post.

6. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

I blog for ESPN and for a local radio station in an LA suburb. ESPN has copy editors, but also an extremely high workload. The radio station has no safety nets. I am on my own. I transpose letters all the time. I got nailed for spelling basketball wrong on an online post.
    Mistakes happen when there are no copy editors and they happen when there are copy editors. Sadly, most media shops don't have a decent copy desk anymore.
    I used to have a sports editor who told us if we're going to make mistakes, make sure they're not in 60 point. Nowadays, if you make a mistake, make sure it doesn't get Tweeted to a million readers.

7. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Love the idea. Tough to do without a major enforcer on your side, though. :)

And thanks for the update slappy. As the "put the O back in country" type-os go, this is relatively minor. At least it's not in a headline or that 60-point type rpmmutant spoke of. Always funny, though.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Actually, the first pic was smaller cause it showed more of the page. Harry was right at the time...

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

And it has been fixed now... or removed..

Draft saved Draft deleted