1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today's Top 10: Journey's Greatest Hits

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Freelance Hack, Jan 22, 2009.

1. For my money, "Escape" is a masterpiece from start to finish, simply one of the greatest hard-rock albums ever made. Some of the stuff on there shreds every bit as much as the heaviest metal.

I second the poster who mentioned "Mother, Father." Starts off as a quiet, little ballad, then finishes in a screaming blast furnace of Schon's unparalleled guitar work.

As others have said, "Stone in Love" and "Don't Stop Believing" are classics, but as far as deep cuts go, the lesser-known "Lay It Down" and "Keep On Runnin'" never fail to make my ears bleed.

In a good way, of course!

And from "Evolution," I don't know why, but I really like "Lovin' You Is Easy" and the way "Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin'" immediately launches into "City of the Angels."

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yup. lay it down was solid as hell.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

but she IS hot as hell.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Agreed. :)

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

that's a chilax song or you'd hit her like 8 times in a night? :D

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Both. ;D

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you ask the question because it is impossible to winnow down your list.

If not, I will have to, once again, challenge you to a duel.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

roger-roger that.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

TP beat me to it, Mike.

As long as you're on the board, I'll have no worse than the second-worst taste in music to anyone here.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

sam mills interpretation: don't fuck with journey ... bitch.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

To be fair, TP, Journey isn't exactly challenging or a serious music adventure. No freaking way ... my favorites have put much more work into riffs, timbre, contrast, emotion and musicianship.

But is it worth the compilation CD and worth playing more than occasionally? Sure.

Draft saved Draft deleted