1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today's pet peeve

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

A weekly newspaper in these parts wrapped its front section with a four-page advertising section commemorating its first anniversary. The section's front page were letters from four elected officials praising the paper on its first anniversary, while its second page had two more letters from elected officials, two from charities and one from a business.

My experience tells me that these letters are solicited by non-editorial employees. Still, I think for matters of credibility it is best not to publish letters from elected officials praising your publication on an anniversary.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Just heard someone say full-court pressure will "play a factor" in a game.

Call that "Tonight's pet peeve." I would say "play a role" or "be a factor," but not "play a factor."

I hear this a lot these days. I do not approve.

3. chazp

chazp Active Member

"We just had to keep working as a team." I've heard this way too many times this year.

Draft saved Draft deleted