1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today's Celebrity Birthday (just for Rosie)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, May 21, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

and me, of course, because it makes me feel OLD.

Kent Hrbek is 50.

That can't be right. I did fantasy league for the first time in 1982 and could not wait to get this dynamic 21-year-old on my team.

50? That means I must be *** OVER 50 MYSELF!! How the hell did that happen?

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Is it eating you up that Mr. T is 58 today?

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Maybe this will make MOddy feel a little less old:

I covered Kent Hrbek's first game at Yankee Stadium in August of 1981.
    I recalled him hitting a game-winning home run that day so I checked retro-sheet and indeed he did, in the 12th inning off George Frazier. Twins win, 3-2.

BTW, the 12-inning game took all of 3:06 to play!

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

As a kid, Hrbek autographed my 1982 Twins Future Stars card when they played the A's during his rookie season.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I pity the fool whom it doesn't bother.

And come back, Rosie! You're missed, not to mention that some people need to be sent to their rooms.

6. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Still out:

[​IMG]

This is what Hrbek and Gaetti used to do during Bob Casey's No Smoking announcement prior to games at the Dome:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Party's at Kennedy Transmission...

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

MH, you know I love you. And I thank you for the photo of Ron Gant. But that play is when I started to wish death upon Kent Hrbek.

I will not stop. :D

9. Machine Head

Fair enough 8)

Still out :D

10. Machine Head

Slappy goes old school!

I drove by Kennedy High School this week. I guess he'd be their most famous grad.

11. Machine Head

So is this a leisure suit in his high school picture?

[​IMG]

Follow the link for similar pictures of Prince, Dylan, Josh Hartnett, Mitch Hedberg, The McGiver Guy and other Minnesota celebs!

http://www.minnesotamonthly.com/media/Minnesota-Monthly/May-2007/High-School-Confidential/Answers/index.php

12. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Aw, Sam, thanks. :) I haven't been deliberately staying away, just have too much on my plate right now. And Moddy, you are NOT old - just well-seasoned. :)

With no respect to IJAG (love you tho!) Hrbek was always and still is one of my favorite players. Somewhere I have a picture of him from a 1984 "camera day" at the Dome where we could go on the field and take pics of players. I think it was after the game (which the Twins beat the Brewers, much to my glee and much to the consternation of my then-boyfriend who was a huge Brewers fan. And no, he did not become Mr. Rosie.)

The biggest reason Herbie is one of my faves? He never forgot where he came from, least-ways that I've ever seen.

Herbie's dad and my late father-in-law grew up together. Some day I would love to have a beer with Hrbek and find out if he has any stories to tell.

Draft saved Draft deleted