1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today in Cultural Appropriation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, May 2, 2018.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I find as I get older that I identify more and more as 'liberal'. The Bush and Trump presidencies have pushed me a great deal.

Then I read a story about a high schooler wearing a pretty dress to a prom that she found in a vintage store, and all the outrage. And I find myself saying, "I'm supposed to identify with these douchenozzles?"

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You can't take what they say seriously. They're too invested in the white supremacy hegemon.

Stoney likes this.
  3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Oh, how nice. Now the war is moving to clothes.

5. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I want to like this but I’m against baby killing.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I don't think it ever had a beating heart.

7. Dick Whitman

It wouldn't have probably occurred to me that the dress is Chinese. It looks like every paisley tie I own, really. (I'm not doubting that it is Chinese. I can see that, once alerted.)

The "cultural appropriation" issue is an odd one. In the past week, Keziah, the high school senior, and Josh Allen, the NFL Draft prospect, have both found themselves in hot water for it.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Related: Mormon names remain undefeated.

Vombatus likes this.
  9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I don't think you'll find a side in my post.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Without all the things that come along with the racism that would be directed toward an actual Chinese person out in public in such a dress. And being completely ignorant of it all.

That's what cultural appropriation is. Up to you to decide if this is cultural appropriation.

lakefront likes this.
  11. Dick Whitman

Would some minority businesses that essentially sell culture be able to thrive or even survive without selling to white people? Doesn't hip-hop music, as an industry, need white people to buy in?

The Rolling Stones: Cultural appropriation or homage?

12. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I was looking back through clips recently. In a 2008 profile I wrote about an area player's hit that knocked a wide receiver's helmet off garnering 16,000 YouTube clicks. That seemed like so many then. And it's now gauche to be celebrating a player probably getting concussed.

Shit changes so fast.

Draft saved Draft deleted