1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today in Cultural Appropriation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, May 2, 2018.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Today? wasn't it like a week ago?

YankeeFan and QYFW like this.
  3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I thought she handled that really, really well. Good for her. Dress looks nice.

heyabbott and QYFW like this.
  4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

ITT: Old white guys opine on the issue

5. MisterCreosote

I’ve seen that dress worn by non-Chinese people only, like, a billion times.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

A big part of cultural appropriation is that a white person wants to use part of another race's cultural but would certainly never want to take on aspects of it that are unavoidable for people of that race. White people simply don't understand this.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Isn't that every thread?

8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Or they want to wear a nice looking dress.

heyabbott likes this.
  9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I loved the tweets from the guy saying, to another person commenting, that it would be OK for a white person to do something like this if permission is requested and granted. Whom would one ask?

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

She is rocking that dress, she found the dress at a vintage store, she is gorgeous, and fuck all the haterz.

I wish I could go back to when the internet was in its infancy, and strangle it in the crib.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

This is such a Rick Stain post. Yes, because only "old white guys" wouldn't object to this. Well, that is, except for the actual Chinese people in China:

Daum’s story has quickly gained traction, even making its way overseas to some Chinese publications.

One online Chinese newspaper, The South China Morning Post, quoted people in Mainland China who seemed supportive, with some even calling it “cultural appreciation” instead of appropriation.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  12. MisterCreosote

Journalistic side note: The “someone did something, and the Internet went CRAZY!!!” story stopped being “news” at least 3 years ago.

HanSenSE, heyabbott and doctorquant like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted