1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today in cops gone feral

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don’t know what they’d be charged with. That isn’t to say thet did nothing wrong - God can judge them on that - but, what charge? Four houses hit on the same night, a gun fired at them, a hideous, overwrought response, of course, but what charge gets a conviction?

I’ve seen even in NFL promo montages “arrest Breonna Taylor’s killers.” If you charge them, and then cant get a conviction, the fallout is worse.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd go back to the warrant and whether due care was taken in the processing of it. Where is the judge that signed a no-knock warrant to be served at 1 a.m.? Did the cops lie at all on the warrant app?

Neutral Corner likes this.
  3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Or how the guy shooting at the cops lived but the one in bed died. Initially there were questions about whether the cops even went to the right house. I found a USA Today story that suggested the warrant was indeed for that apartment. I also heard questions raised about how long it took for someone to treat Breonna after being shot (the lawsuit by the family suggests she was alive for a period of time after being shot.)

Also, one officer was fired for blindly shooting into the apartment from the outside.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

This excellent story answers a lot of questions:

Breonna Taylor’s Life Was Changing. Then the Police Came to Her Door.

One of the questions answered is that the cops executed many warrants that night, essentially all at once, looking for a violent drug dealer who kept several girlfriends, including Taylor. They found the dealer at another house. He claimed - it appears falsely - that Taylor was the one keeping his bail money.

It's very tragic.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I understand the reluctance to hold police accountable, and it is tragic, but it was also preventable.

In light of that, a prosecutor could consider criminal recklessness, reckless homicide, negligent homicide, involuntary manslaughter, or a series of lesser charges having to do with the poor planning and execution of the operation that night.

The police have extraordinary powers, and should be made to exercise extraordinary caution and judgment in exercising them.

I understand too, that none of this will happen.

But if you wonder why people are in the streets over policing, this lack of accountability is part of it.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  6. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

I can't access that story, but I think negligent homicide is reasonable. But agree it won't happen.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

It’s been a rough month for Texas cops who allegedly act like sexual predators.

As sheriff in Falls County, Tex., Ricky Scaman cast himself as a tough, cowboy-hat-wearing lawman willing to sacrifice his body to personally catch bad guys. After he broke his arm while chasing down a fugitive last year, he told the Waco Tribune, “I couldn’t wait for backup.”

But two co-workers in his office — including his former assistant chief deputy — recently painted another picture of the elected Republican. In separate federal lawsuits, the women alleged he is a serial sexual harasser, who used his power to attack them.

On Monday, the Texas Rangers arrested Scaman, 48, on sexual assault and other charges after two other government employees said he groped them and verbally harassed them while “acting under color of his office as a public servant, namely Falls County sheriff,” the Tribune reported.

An attorney who has represented Scaman in the past didn’t immediately respond to a message early Tuesday about the charges. The Falls County Sheriff’s Office also didn’t immediately respond.

Scaman was elected sheriff in 2016 in Falls County, a rural, farming area of around 17,000 people bisected by the Brazos River about 30 miles south of Waco. He spent nearly three decades in law enforcement, the Tribune reported, and as sheriff, boasted of hunting down drug dealers while inviting TV reporters to tag along.

Behind the scenes, though, two women in his office claimed the sheriff preyed on them. In 2018, Nanci Anderson, his former assistant chief deputy, filed a federal lawsuit that compared Scaman to disgraced movie producer Harvey Weinstein, noting “even a modicum of power in the wrong hands can wreak havoc.”

Anderson said Scaman barraged her with sexual texts, demanded she send him nude photos and repeatedly tried to pressure her to have sex in his hotel room while they were on a work trip.

The next year, Shirley Lynn Boger, a dispatcher and jailer, filed another federal suit against Scaman. She claimed the sheriff invited her into his office, and then grabbed her, licked her face, stuck his hands in her pants and sexually assaulted her under her clothes.​

A Texas sheriff is charged with sexually abusing his colleagues. It’s not his first complaint. | Washington Post

8. 2muchcoffeeman

Today in cops gone pathetic:

9. 2muchcoffeeman

Can somebody please pull out the world’s tiniest sad fiddle for the Daily Caller, which just today discovered that sometimes police officers lie to cover their asses?

10. 2muchcoffeeman

Apparently not The Wire.

11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Whitlock is writing 4,000 words on this as I type.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted