1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today in cops gone feral

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I'm not anti-cop at all. If the cops get qualified immunity, what does the dead guy or his family get? You obviously can't bring back a dead person, but "sorry" doesn't cut it, either.
    I don't know what the answer is.

2. Driftwood

At least this guy was just injured and not killed, so he got paid. He could have easily died from the way he was slung through the air and planted on the bricks.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Without qualified immunity, they would still have their day in court to lay out those facts and let a jury weigh the evidence. Assuming of course, the DA doesn’t decide not to press charges in the first place. Ending it is not the same as saying “Lock ‘em all up.”

4. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

5. Driftwood

The sheriff is already trying to spin the story that it wasn't the deputies' fault that they killed an innocent person - an active duty military member ... support the troops - inside his home while minding his own business.
    The family says the cops were at the wrong apartment.
    The sheriff says they were at the right apartment but fails to acknowledge that even if it was the right apartment according to dispatch, it was probably a bogus call.
    The call claimed there was a domestic or something going on inside the apartment, but the guy was home alone Facetiming with this girlfriend.
    The cops pounded on the door but were out of view of the peephole, then started blasting before establishing what was going on when the guy opened the door with a gun.

I promise you that if someone comes banging on my door in the middle of the night, I will have a gun in my hand. Fortunately, I live in a house with windows and could see who it is, but still.
    The cops had to make a split second decision to make sure they went home at the end of their shift blah blah blah. What about the kid who didn't get show up for his shift the next morning?
    Sorry and qualified immunity doesn't cut it. I don't know of any other job where you can kill an innocent person and just say "oops."

Tarheel316 likes this.
  6. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Can someone please tell me where in George Floyd’s autopsy report did it say the cause of death was a fentanyl overdose?

Why do people keep insisting he od’d when he didn’t?

8. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

As a black man living in Florida I truly believe that if someone wanted me dead they could make a bogus emergency call to my house and there's a better than 50/50 chance the boys would come in guns blazing after they spend the ride over making up a story. I wish I didn't feel that way, but I don't know any other way to feel.

Tarheel316 and Oggiedoggie like this.
  9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Scottie. Should have complied

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Draft saved Draft deleted