1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To the idiot with the laser pointer ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by luftkopf83, Jul 25, 2009.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Thrown off the top of the Green Monster?

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

One of my friends suffered permanent eye damage while flying at night and unaided (without night vision goggles) near DeFuniak Springs, Fla., not too long ago.

After the surgery, he'll no longer be a pilot and faces a medical discharge. Took him -- just like it took the rest of us -- more than four years to get where he was at that time.

What a fucking shame.

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Laser pointers you can buy at Walmart or Office Depot have that much distance, from a stadium seat to home plate or an airplane?

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Helicopter at 500 feet.

5. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

That's a damn shame, TBF. Your buddy deserved better.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So can these...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

In the mid-90s, I got to work for the company that did the Padres' game-day programs one year. During the course of the year, I got to know the guy who did a lot of photography for the team and was under contract by our company to provide photos for the program. We weren't buddies, but I got to know him a little bit; he was a nice guy, solid photog and very professional in his demeanor.

A couple years after I left that job, I read in the paper where he was in the photo pit by the Padres' dugout shooting during a game with the Pirates. Suddenly, his eyes felt a burning sensation and his vision got temporarily blurry. It was found out that Jason Schmidt, who wasn't pitching that night and apparently wasn't interested in paying attention to the game, was using a laser pointer from the Pittsburgh dugout and shining it in the photog's eyes. A security guard was alerted, and he went over to tell Schmidt to stop it, which elicited a string of cursing from Schmidt toward the guard.

After that, let's just say I haven't had a lot of sympathy for the guy who's missed most of the last three seasons to injury and gets to read how he's one of the biggest free-agent busts in Dodgers history. Of course, he still gets to keep his money and he didn't get a line drive in the cojones during his return the other night, so I can't say karma has completely gotten him.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Here is some information on laser pointers and eye damage.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=can-a-pocket-laser-damage

http://www.pangolin.com/resguide09c.htm

The red pocket lasers you buy at Wal-Mart are supposedly safer, but obviously the magnifying effect of a long-distance camera lens will increase the effect.

The green lasers, especially the big ass ones, are much more dangerous — they're illegal in the U.S. They're powerful enough that commercial pilots have been temprarily blinded by them on takeoffs and approaches. These are certainly powerful enough to cause eye damage at 500 feet.

Shining a laser at an aircraft is a felony punishable by up to 20 years in prison under the Patriot Act.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Jesus.

Would love to see a link to that story.

10. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Before reading this thread, I had no idea these things were dangerous - I thought they were merely annoying.

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

New levels of assholishness . . . and, yes, noted . . . Philly and Bahhhhsthan . . .

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Me too, Sea Bass. Scary stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted