1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To the annals of short tenures at a job ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Sep 24, 2008.

1. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

A weirdo I'd worked with at a newspaper 10 years ago resurfaced at one of my old papers last year.

He comes in on his first day at 4.

At 6, with his boss out to dinner, he goes out himself. leaving his hat, dictionary and a few personal effects.

At 6:01, he calls the newsroom to tell whoever picked up the phone that he didn't want to work there. "And can you mail me back my stuff?"

2. Yeah, you should only mention attemptions in the box score. Never the game story.

3. Shortest tenure on record: At a former stop, we hired a guy after his interview Monday. Never showed up Tuesday for his first day. We think he was kidnapped by aliens.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Guy I used to work with was on the job for a week. Went home for the weekend and never came back. ME had to call his parents to find out what happened, they had to tell her he quit.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Didn't a certain NFL writer who is now at one of the major internet sites once accept two jobs and then never showed up for one without ever letting anyone there know?

6. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Had a similar thing happen at one of my stops. Hired a kid straight out of a very fine journalism school. ME had me set up to be her job shadow. They give her three weeks to do Europe after graduation and she's set to start in mid-July ... the day comes and she never shows up and nobody ever hears a word from her. I'm thinking she must have done some research on the shop after accepting the job and realized she'd be paid better selling knives.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

We had an agate guy with a journalism degree from a really good school quit to become a waiter.

Smart kid. Better hours, better pay, better job security.

8. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

(Insert own Orenthal joke here.)

9. RossLT

RossLT Guest

At my current job, they hired three of us to train over the same period. So the last day of training, supervisor tells us to take a break, one of the guys leaves and never comes back...the best part is they were considering letting him come back like nothing had happened.

Draft saved Draft deleted