1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To the annals of short tenures at a job ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Sep 24, 2008.

1. henry, y'all hiring?

best story i have is that we're in knife-selling training (don't ask)..and dude leaves during the lunch break, never to come back. if only i'd been that smart.

2. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

Knife sales? Did a dragon come laser-etched RIGHT ONTO THE BLADE!?!

3. yes!

hey, i was young and naive, and there only was so much freelancing i could do ...

4. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

Not knocking you. I bought a katana once from those TV guys just to see the quality. It was shit, but I'm still betting I could fuck someone up.

5. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

We had a couple of reporters quit on the first day at my old place. Funny enough, I was walking around the building and saw one of the reporters' box of business cards still out. This was like a year or two later.

6. Faithless

Faithless Member

From what I've heard about the guy, I'm not surprised he's taking the alt-weekly writing gig. And the major market he's heading to is Nashville.

I think it was our HR person who told the paper about him. He had been driving a forklift and doing other jobs at his father's business.

7. What?
    So the newb and the vet ran off together?

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I once sat through one of those knife-selling job mass hiring interviews. They lure you with the promise of easy cash. Once I saw that it entailed begging people for appointments, I knew it wasn't for me.

When the exec found out that I wasn't interested, she said she couldn't understand why, and that she thought I was perfect for the job. I told her that I didn't know too many people to get appointments.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Outing alert: whatwoulddamondo is really...o, never mind.

10. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Nah. That vet is probably in the office right now.

11. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Once you've exploited your immediate family and best friends, the knife-selling business dries up pretty quickly.

12. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

I took a stab at the knife-selling business once... nevermind.

Draft saved Draft deleted