1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To shampoo or not to shampoo

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by GBNF, Jan 28, 2009.

?

When getting a haircut, do you spring for the shampoo/head massage?

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    31.8%
  2. No

24 vote(s)
    54.5%
  3. I cut my own hair/someone at home cuts it

4 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. Shampoo?

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Cut my own. Bzzzzzzzz.

2. spup1122

spup1122 New Member

A) Agree with ijag? Men have to pay for shampoos with cuts?

B) $20 is not steep for a haircut. I routinely pay at least $40 and closer to $150 on average when getting anything beyond just the cut. Also, women's cuts include a blowout, but you have to love Texas hair because when it's over, your hair will be very big.

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I always get the shampoo. It's one of life's little pleasures.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I usually just straight home and take another shower to get all the excess hair off.

And Piotr, SportsClips is a national chain.

5. KG

KG Active Member

I have to pay extra for a shampoo and a blowout, but where I get my hair cuts is pretty cheap for a woman's cut. I never go to the more expensive places. I think I've paid more than $35 for a cut, maybe once in my life.

6. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

I've never had to pay extra for the shampoo. Maybe it's built in to the cost?

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That's the missing poll option I wanted to pick.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I go to the local neighborhood's old-school barber -- three chairs and a eight-seat waiting area. They have a shampoo sink but I've never seen it being used. But they do have a TV that exclusively tuned to ESPN News and newspapers (not just the local rag, either) for the wait. The social part is half the fun. The folks are all regulars and the owner, Van, has been running the place for 37 years. He has interesting takes on just about everything, sports to politics, and when I went in for my pre-Christmas cut, he gave some tips for getting the Baccala just right on Christmas eve: You have to make sure you change the water during the two days of soaking. He's always got some raffle for the Italian Club going or, like last week, a Super Bowl box to purchase.He only charges $12.50 but I always drop $20 for both me and my son. My way of trying to keep the place in business forever. It's that good.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Never. I have shampoo at my house.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Cranberry, I miss my entertaining, dirty old Italian man barber back in Southie, whose shop is like that. Dude knows how to cut hair... and how to talk up the clientele. And don't even think of asking for a shampoo... they don't have a sink.

11. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I haven't cut my hair since last May. As for washing it, maybe once every two weeks?

12. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Had an old school barber shop near a previous stop where you could get a hair cut for $2.25. Not kidding. And the barber, who was a farmer and did it to socialize more than anything, is to this day the guy who's done the best job. Of course, no shampoo, but what do you expect for a couple bucks?

I used to give him $5 and call it good, since he worked fast and the conversation was always top notch.

Draft saved Draft deleted