1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To play or not to play?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Nov 29, 2016.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

"Always put my family first" does not equal "Never doing anything unrelated to my family."

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Sometimes putting a job "first" is putting family first, as well.

"Sorry, boss. Can't cover Game 7. Junior has a music program."

"Enjoy the job hunt."

QYFW likes this.
  3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

There's a lot of room between taking time from your job (at a time that wouldn't endanger the health or wellbeing of others) to be at the birth of your kid and ignoring your responsibility to provide food and shelter to dote over your precious toddler.

5. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Exactly, which is why the absolute declarations are silly.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

One might say being and remaining gainfully employed IS putting your family first, regardless of each individual situation.

7. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

8. albert777

albert777 Active Member

I know Brett Favre passingly, from media encounters over the years, and I've met a lot of people who knew his dad well. And the consensus opinion is that Big Irv would have personally come back from Purgatory and bitch-slapped Brett if he even thought about missing the game. I can just imagine that conversation: "I'm dead and gone, and you cain't do nothin' for me now, boy, so don't be a pussy. Git yer ass out there and play some football."

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Very personal decision, one columnists, reporters, etc., should clear of. I couldn't imagine having missed my daughter's birth. No way. Then again, I don't have a job where this kind of thing would come up. Not playing after a death, that seems more unusual. Hell, the morning after my mother died suddenly, I kept an appointment to interview Michael Oher about the Blind Side and two days later traveled to NYC for two assignments. Why? To keep my mind occupied so I didn't become overcome with grief. Only worked to an extent.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

To write or not to write.

http://deadspin.com/boston-sports-radio-host-gets-into-heated-argument-with-1794563842

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Inky_Wretch likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted