1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To play or not to play?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Boston radio hack Michael Felger, in one of his obnoxious hot takes, rips into Al Horford for missing a regular season game against Miami for the birth of his daughter. Horford's sister goes after Felger on Twitter, everyone pretty much agrees Felger is a clown.

It begs the question, though. Is there a game in which a player (a significant player) should miss the birth of his child? Game 7? Super Bowl? Are there other personal instances in which missing a game are OK? Son's bah mitzvah? Surgery on your dog? Where is the line, especially when it comes to regular season to postseason?

Boston media personality rips Al Horford for missing a game due to his daughter's birth

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I took 2 weeks off after the birth of each child and was there in the delivery room each time. Nothing at my job would have prevented me from doing that.

cranberry and Inky_Wretch like this.
  3. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I would never under-value what you do at your specific workplace, but if you're in journalism, I know you don't make $30 million per year.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I get that, but I also think that is the ultimate hall pass. Horford gets that one.

5. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Regular season in November, absolutely. Game 7 of the NBA Finals? That's where it might get tricky, at least for some.

6. heyabbott

I'd enrolled him or her in journalism school and no one would ever know

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. heyabbott

30 million or min wage. You go to your family

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Joe Flacco missed the birth of his son a few years back to play in the second game of the regular season. Against the trifling Browns.

9. heyabbott

It's a choice. If it's good with mom to be and dad, it is fine either way.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Flacco gets paid enough for one game to put 10 kids through college for four years.

I can understand why pro athletes, particularly football players, might think they are serving their family better by playing.

exmediahack likes this.
  11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Guys just get in the way in a delivery room.

12. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

If you decide to work, aren't you making a pretty clear statement you value your work over your family?

Draft saved Draft deleted