1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To narc? Or not to narc?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SellOut, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Have the guy drawn and quartered.

2. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

3. I'd report a guy for taking the free meal.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If you want your profession to to be respectable, don't you all have a responsibility to police it?

I know that when I was a commodities broker -- a profession rife with crooks -- I was offended by unethical brokers. They gave us all a bad name, and made it harder for me to gain the respect and trust of potential clients.

The same thing holds true now that I'm an espresso machine repair guy. I see some of the tricks other guys pull, and it offends me.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Does he file on time? Are his stories worse for the wear because he's not there? Factual errors? Are they dry or do his stories have quotes from pertinent players and coaches?

There's way too much information missing from the original post.

6. You won't see many reporters call out newspapers for using datelines on briefs compiled from coaches' call.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

And, how respected is the profession?

[​IMG]

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2012/12/03/gallup_trustworthy_poll_congressmen_car_salesman_least_trusted_professions.html

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. If the copy is in the paper, safe to say it was filed on time. But that's hardly the point. This isn't filing a game story for the local DII school when it's on the road and you call the coach afterward. This isn't 3 graphs in the HS hoops roundup.
    If y'all are fine with it, that's cool. Maybe it says something about where we're headed. I just know if I pulled that shit, I'd be gone or I'd be a joke. Or both.
    Seems the issue is more whether SellOut should narc. So I guess it's better to let it slide than be "that guy."

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Would we let it slide if a city councilman never showed up to meetings but read the minutes at home and e-mailed in his votes?

Fuck this guy. There are enough people who want the job enough to do it.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Man it's funny you mentioned this. I once covered a municipality where the a member of the Board of Supervisors, a doctor, never attended meetings. He had an aide tape everything. And this guy was actually re-elected for a second term.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Sacramento Bee, if you're scoring at home:

http://www.newsreview.com/sacramento/sting-like-a-bee/content?oid=15783

12. inthesuburbs

inthesuburbs Member

No, you shouldn't narc. Yes, you should do thorough reporting and write a story. Where the hell is he during the games? Does it bother him or his editor or his readers? What would he miss even though the readers won't notice. Are there some jobs that just can't be done by telecommuting? (Plumber, sportswriter, ?) What does it say about the business? Start thinking like a reporter. Then write a fair story.

Draft saved Draft deleted