1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To fly or drive?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RayKinsella, May 13, 2007.

1. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

I am looking to cover an event that is some 430+ miles one way. Should I be expected to drive or do I have a valid argument that I should be able to fly?

Thanks.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I would say given the climate we all work in these days you better make sure you are authorized by the bean counters to even cover the event before you start making plans on how you are going to get there.......

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Do some research on the internet and see how good of a price you can get to fly. Plus, management probably doesn't want to pay you for 20 hours of just sitting on your ass while driving somewhere.

4. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

Already done, assuming the teams make it.

Did that as well. The difference is about $200 if I fly (cheaper that is). But it is two different budgets, so I am thinking I have to drive.

5. accguy

accguy Member

Ray,

I think there are many questions that have to be answered here:

1. Can you get a non-stop flight for a reasonable amount of cash?
    2. Would you need a rental car at the destination?
    3. Would the trip be over a Saturday night (something that could lead to a cheaper fare)?
    4. Is there anything along the driving route or near the driving routh that you'd like to do (either for work or for fun) on one of the legs of the trip?

I'm an advocate of flying, but sometimes getting the paper to spring for a rental car and going for a drive isn't all bad. Sometimes I can see an old friend or catch a baseball game or something.

6. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

1. Yes.
    2. The farthest I would have to go is about 15 miles from the hotel to the event. So I don't think a rental car would be needed, I would just take a taxi (1-day event).
    3. No it is not.
    4. Fun?

7. awriter

awriter Active Member

Dumb question: What does your boss say?

8. EE94

EE94 Guest

As a former SE, I was always struck at how beancounters focussed on plane fare when it came to travel.
    Generally, ground costs - hotel, rental car, per diem, misc - outstripped plane fare by a minimum 2-to-1 margin, especially when the travel took you to large centres where hotel rooms were $160 a night.
    Just confirmed in my mind at how terrible it is that beancounters are permitted to make those kinds of editorial decisions based solely on costs.
    Glad I'm not an SE anymore

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Your paper rents you a car when you have to go on long drives? Shit. My paper makes me pay for everything up front and I get reimbursed at the end of the month plus the wear and tear on my car.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

man, your boss must be an asshole.

11. RayKinsella

RayKinsella Member

And this is my problem. Not to mention the event is a few days after the month begins and we turn in our reports at the end of the month and get paid two weeks later. So I am floating 1000 miles of gas for more than a month!!

Edit: Boss says drive. Because that way he doesn't have to take the money out of the sports travel budget rather than the milage budget which he has no control over.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I hear ya Ray. I just went to Austin for a week of state coverage and bought hotels, 1,350 miles of gas and seven days of meals with my own money and I won't get reimbursed until May 27th. Good stuff. I love how my entire lifestyle has to change just so I can cover stuff for the paper. God I wish I worked for one of the chains where they gave you advances/credit cards to pay for stuff.
    As far as your dilemma, it seems to me that the beancounters just assume flying will cost more so they nix it. Though with gas pushing $3.00 per gallon in most places, it is cheaper to fly.
    I would fly.

Draft saved Draft deleted