1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To Beantown and Back

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jeremy Goodwin, Apr 20, 2009.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I'm just curious as to whether he got paid for the entire day. Is he salary, hourly, what?

Obviously it's not really any of our business.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I was agreeing that I'm bitter and angry and spend a lot of time griping about it because I haven't found anything better to do :)

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Being able to work in two cities while flying around the country in one day is not innovative when there is technology that allows you not to do so.

50-plus years ago, newspapers used to boast when they would send a photog across the country to shoot a game, then have the photog rush to the airport, put the film on a plane, have an editor in a taxi meet the plane when it landed, rush back to the newsroom and develop the film across the country. That was innovative because readers weren't used to seeing pictures from an event across the country in the next day's paper.

Now, with TV and the Internet, readers and viewers can see events from around the world instantly. There's nothing innovative about someone doing work in two cities in one day by using an airplane.

The airplane has been around for the last 106 years and the Internet is no longer a novelty. Shooting two games in two distant cities in one day when there is someone else to help out is not innovative. It's stupid.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

You're just angry because some guy got up to go take a piss and blocked your view of Soriano's latest misplay. [/crossthreading]

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I am not in the business anymore, and I am salaried. If my boss said there is a problem we need solved by tomorrow morning, I would expect to be in my office all night until it was solved.

I hope that does happen often (it never has), but I would do it. I have also worked Saturdays and nights when extra things were needed.

I am also not in the union but a part of management.

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Nice pull.

8. they also train for 4-6 months for it

9. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Thank you for saying this. Totally agree.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Bingo. This is the only big problem I have with the idea.

11. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

And even if he did pitch the idea, the fact that management didn't take a step back for a few reasons and say, "I appreciate your gumption but it's too much of a burden for one person, plus all that has to happen is for one of your flights to be delayed and the plan goes out the window" tells me they didn't give a fuck.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Geez, Kent, you're out of the newspaper business and supposedly better off for it, yet you're still the most bitter guy here. Get over yourself.

Draft saved Draft deleted