1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

(To be) in Chicago for a conference ... any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by doctorquant, Mar 23, 2012.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

There are many cool places to grab a beverage in Chicago. Bars a plenty. Pretty much anywhere is okay - if you are downtown it might be tougher to find a non-touristy spot.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

No cola, pepsi.

[/another crossthread]

3. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Try the fries at the Billy Goat.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

It is. We did it several years back and it was awesome.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The bar at the top of the Hancock is pretty cool for drinks, but there can be long line. Go early. The view is great, but I'm not sure it's worth hanging around for more than one drink and taking in the view.

If you do want to do tall building, touristy stuff, the new "glass boxes" that hang out of the top of the Willis Tower are cool as hell. They have a glass bottom, and you basically step out into the sky.

If you go, buy and print the tickets online ahead of time. Pay the extra fee for the VIP tickets, or whatever they call them. You get to cut the entire line, and get to the top in minutes instead of hours. Worth the money.

6. three_bags_full

Mrs. t_b_f and I were both very young when we went and were intimidated by the scale of public transportation. Chicago's Transit Authority web site was very, very user friendly and ver helpful. Based on a rough timeline, we were able to get directions to and from wherever we were going. Which bus to catch. Which transfer to take. We never waited on transportation or wasted time figuring out which train/bus to take.

7. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Cubs in town end of April. Wrigleyville is easy to get to

8. three_bags_full

Twin Anchors is a pretty good rib joint. Be prepared to wait awhile.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Yeah, I am thinking I am going to punch one of the spots on my MLB stadium "to visit" list. Also thinking I might catch the train up to Milwaukee and watch the Brewers play one, too.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

OK, so you Chicago experts ... Suppose I wanted to go to a Cubs game next weekend. How good are the seats at the infield terrace level? I see lots of those available in the approx. $20 range ... are those pretty good seats?

11. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I am looking at going to Lollapalooza to be a middle aged hipster if I can get a decent hotel without taking a second mortgage on my house. I am assuming the area around Grant park is reasonably safe for drunking stumbling?

Any cheap local eats close to the Grant Park area?

12. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Wash them down with Coke.

Draft saved Draft deleted