1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To all soccer snobs....

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hondo, Jun 28, 2006.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/2006/June%20Dailies/soccer.htm

Now leave the vast majority of U.S. sports fans who DON'T CARE alone and quit trying to force the sport down our throats. More people watch log-rolling.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Hondo, I'm really not a big soccer fan myself, but people like you are just assholes. Go back to baseball or whatever sport you like and leave the soccer folks alone.

3. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I will just point out that nothing in that "report" says that nobody cares. I will also state that soccer is immensly popular amongst people living in the US despite what any fly-over state individual would like to believe.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

This survey was telling us what we already knew ... soccer is not that popular in the U.S.

Now that being said, if you're a soccer fan, good on ya'. But if you are, don't be pissed that other people aren't.

And if you're not a fan, then leave alone those people who are.

It's called live and let live, although I'm not surprised Hondo of all people fails to appreciate that concept.

5. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Apparently there are plenty of people pissed off that ESPN is taking the valuable 11 a.m and 3 p.m. time slots for the past couple weeks .... irate poker fans?

6. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

did hondo read this?

seriously...

from that story he linked:

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Despite the general lack of interest in the World Cup by the US audience, the soccer tournament is more popular than the NBA basketball championship and the NHL’s Stanley Cup hockey title. Both of those events were being held at the same time as the World Cup.

Except for the Super Bowl, *nothing* in sports is popular.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You've got it backwards chick. First of all, why am I an asshole because I don't like soccer?
    Second, it's been my experience that the assholes are the other way around...the ones who have 13 TVS in a sports bar tuned into the World Cup, and suggest I'm a jingoistic, ugly American because I want one damn TV on a baseball game.
    Or the dweeb desk guys in our department who are cutting the shit out of everyone's stories for the last three weeks to make sure and get two full soccer pages in the paper.
    I'm tired of having my intellect questioned because I don't like soccer. And I damn sure don't like being called an asshole because I don't like soccer. So up yours.

9. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

don't sell yourself short, your intellect is questioned and you're called an asshole for many more reasons than your dislike of soccer

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Alley, it doesn't say that at ALL. Go back and read the link again.

1. This is not a ratings number.
    2. This is a poll.

Yes, the Super Bowl is more popular amongst everyday Americans walking down the street or randomly phoned during the daytime. But, let us point out a few things:
    1. The Super Bowl is a championship game, while the World Cup has yet to play that game yet.
    2. If there were to be an accurate judge, I would venture to guess that 78% of Americans don't follow the NFL playoff action very closely if at all.

Then you have the built in skewed numbers:
    1. How many Americans truly follow sports to begin with?
    2. How was this polling done? If they called people only living in Alabama, there might be a problem.

So, please, enough with throwing out the biggest load of horseshit numbers to try and prove a point that cannot be made.

11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Thank you for illustrating sportschick's point very well.

12. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

You like baseball and go out of your way to demean soccer.
    That sums you up right there, Hondo.

Draft saved Draft deleted