1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

tnt cancels 'men of a certain age'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Jul 15, 2011.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Seems like USA is now the only network that develops great shows and then lets those shows develop an audience. TNT really shit the bed with this decision. Maybe USA will pick it up and I can boycott TNT for such a shitty decision.

2. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

AMC and FX.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I do wonder if Men of a Certain Age suffered because of the DVR. It wasn't one of those shows you had to worry about having spoiled the day after a new episode aired. It was the kind of show that actually benefitted from watching 2 or 3 at a time, which if outside of the first week of airing, won't show up on the ratings.
    For a show "nobody watched" it seemed to have a pretty good following.

4. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I'll raise you "Freaks and Geeks" and "Undeclared."

As far as Southland goes, Season 3 wrapped up this Spring and it left with a decent cliff hanger.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Another saddened fan here, and TNT definitely did the show no favors with that split second season. The end came as an entire shock the other week, as in, "You must be kidding ... already??"

I remain amazed how networks and cable entities alike take good shows with shaky ratings and do everything they can to hammer that final nail in the coffin.

I will really miss this one. But, like others, I'm hopeful about "Franklin & Bash" and "Necessary Roughness." That's been making a pretty good two hours of Wednesday night TV lately.

6. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Man, this bums me out. On my DVR, I have Treme, Men of a Certain Age and (guilty pleasure that's quickly wearing thin) Falling Skies set to record. I'll watch House Hunters, Investigation Discovery true crime shows and Conan with my wife. Other than that, it's sports.

Maybe I'll trade down the Samsung for an old black and white the little TV I'll be watching.

I agree. Good cast, good storylines. Maybe I'm a boring type to enjoy shows like this and Treme, shows a lot of my friends tell me are boring. But hey, I used to watch Northern Exposure back in the day too, so I have a history with these things.

I will be watching more Curb Your Enthusiasm now too.

7. highlander

highlander Member

To bad I thought Ray Romano's character was finally going to get his dream woman.

Still the last season did have a great line during the softball game "Bitch stole second."

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Oh, that entire scene was outstanding.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I've never fully understood why a network or cable channel dumps a show after giving it weeks of hype.

Either let the show take it's course, or don't bother airing it at all.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

About the only thing I could have seen Men of a Certain Age doing that they didn't was get Barkley on for a cameo at a golf thing, or maybe a gambling deal. Joe strikes up a weird rapport with him, turns out Owen's dad had a run-in with him at some point. Cue awkwardness.
    Hell - if nothing else, the show got me to read a Parade cover story all the way through.

11. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I've probably watched that scene at least 10 times. Just fucking outstanding.

And fuck TNT. Jason Lee's Memphis bullshit shouldn't trump Men of a Certain Age in this or any other universe.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Right about that. In an individual matchup, that result's a joke.

Draft saved Draft deleted