1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

tnt cancels 'men of a certain age'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Jul 15, 2011.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

chickenspit network waits until late on a friday afternoon to offically pull the plug -- and this man of that age is pissed off about it:

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/whats-alan-watching/posts/tnt-cancels-men-of-a-certain-age

joins the legion of terrific, smart shows americans of all ages let die much too young. this goes to near the head of my class, just behind 'freaks & geeks.' :mad: :mad:

2. Colton

Colton Active Member

This. Sucks.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Show was kind of boring.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

only slim hope is that another cable network (maybe F/X, with 'rescue me' ending its run?) gives it a whirl, hoping to get 'rescue me' fans to get on board. hbo and showtime prefer to develop their own shows.

maybe directtv can work out a 'friday night lights' type of deal with a network. they'd have to clean up the r-rated language but it's do-able if everyone gets on board.

5. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

shockey, this girl a few years younger than a certain age is equally bummed.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

yeah, that's true -- no high-speed chases, adults having adult conversations and adult relationship problems... yeah, i'm being snippy, but the american tv viewing public obviously agrees with you.

of course, the american viewing public is moronic. so there ya go (i'm a sore loser when it comes to losing my fave shows).

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

yes, but you've always been wise beyond your years, ginger. ;) :) 8)

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I was surprised when I read on Tim Goodman's blog that there was doubt it would be back. Now this....it was easily the best thing TNT did and if they can stomach Memphis Beat and Franklin and Bash, you would think they would want a show like Men to at least class up the joint.
    Man with FNL's final show on today, this is a real Black Friday.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It always sits on our dvr until my wife coerces me to watch it. But I never have a bad time watching it.. pretty darn good storylines.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I gave it a try, but Ray Romano just grates on me. And Andre Braugher needed to man up and tell his father to go to hell.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

well, they were getting to that but were letting it develop over a period longer than 45 minutes. fools. time expired before they could get many of their kicks off. oh, well. can't wait to see what we're served up next by tnt... i know! janet galvin returns in 'life after 'rescue me'.'

12. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

I was prepared to hate Romano but he quickly won me over. The only thing that drives me crazy is when Andre's character calls his dad "daddy."

shockey, you must dig Necessary Roughness, about the Long Island-based psychotherapist (played by the gorgeous Callie Thorne) who treats players on a NY football team that wears green and isn't the Giants. The writing is smart and even the TO-like character is appealing. The only thing that bothers me thus far is Thorne's character sometimes has the same crazy, jerky mannerisms of the whacko she plays in Rescue Me. (Though I'm sure if they ever have an episode featuring a reporter who covers the team, I'll throw my kitten heels at the screen in frustration.)
    I'm watching way too much TV lately.

Draft saved Draft deleted