1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TNR: 'Don't Send Your Kids to the Ivy League'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I can't remember where I saw the piece - probably the NYT - but I read something a few weeks ago about how a lot of colleges have a huge sticker price, strangely enough, largely as a signal that it's a good school. People just assume that if it costs $50,000 a year, officially, then it must be prestigious. Even though no one actually pays that much.

It's a weird market phenomenon. I think it's called the Johnnie Walker Effect, after the scotch whiskey brand sold more whiskey by raising the price of a bottle, totally opposite of what we expect from the traditional law of supply and demand.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Elmhurst College costs $43,000 a year! I would have never guessed that.

3. Dick Whitman

I thought it was a JUCO!

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

That's all-inclusive -- books, tuition, room and board. That's a fairly common sticker price. Augustana is $47,000.

Also, no one is paying that price. It's like shopping at Kohl's. Everything is always marked 50 percent off, but you can't imagine who in their right mind actually paid the full sticker price for that pair of khaki pants.

Dick, Elmhurst is a United Church of Christ-affiliated college (it's also where for years Michael Jordan had a basketball camp). Part of the discount for the girl I know comes because she's a UCC member.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That isn't really surprising. A lot of those schools are struggling to meet enrollment goals, but apparently the prevailing marketing in the industry is to play a game of net price rather than sticker price. I'd imagine anyone going to those schools knows the game by now, though -- just as when you go to buy a car, you don't pay the MSRP.

I would also guess that if those schools want a student badly -- for whatever that student gives them -- they immediately offer (without anyone asking) a really good financial aid package or they reach into whatever endowment they have to try to sell the idea that they are giving that student a bargain.

6. YankeeFan

That's kind of what I figured, bit that sounds like it would be very stressful for parents and kids.

It makes choosing a college sound like buying a car.

And, isn't that part of the appeal of foreign students from Asia and the Middle East -- they pay full rate?

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Yes, it is.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/05/education/international-students-pay-top-dollar-at-us-colleges.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

The schools are very clear -- they need these students to make up for state cuts in funding, and to continue to offer need-based grants to others. The flip side is that the state schools become much harder for in-state students to attend, and that causes its own upset. I know that with the University of Illinois, already difficult to get into if you're from the state (unless you want to major in agriculture), you hear a lot of parents grumble because of all the spots taken by international students. Illinois' enrollment (undergrad and grad) has held steady at about 44,000, but the number of international students has nearly doubled in 10 years, up to nearly 9,000 in the Spring 2014 semester.

http://www.isss.illinois.edu/download_forms/stats/sp14_stats.pdf

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have said this a lot over the last few years. People like to say the U.S. isn't as good anymore in industries it used to dominate. One thing the U.S. sells to the rest of the world is higher education, though. The best higher education options are American. If you are a wealthy foreigner, you send your kids to the U.S. for a college degree.

9. At one university in the U.S., foreign kids didn't even need to speak English. Just have the parents pay full-price for a year to study at the campus (2-3 years of study beforehand with a partner foreign university) and they'd get a U.S. degree.

10. Dick Whitman

One of my favorite Urban Dictionary entries was one for the University of Chicago:

"A school that nobody in Chicago has heard of, but everyone in Korea has."

That's about right.

11. YankeeFan

My niece was not interested in visiting the University of Chicago when she came out to look at schools, including Northwestern and Notre Dame, with her dad.

The word was it was "where fun goes to die".

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Re: international students. I found an annual population survey for their overall representation. Last numbers available -- 4 percent of the college population, a record 820,000, up 7 percent over one year. Half are from China, India or South Korea. Ten states have 61 percent of the population, half of them Big Ten states, which makes sense because nine out of the most popular 25 institutions for international students are Big Ten schools.

http://www.iie.org/Research-and-Publications/Open-Doors/Data/International-Students/Infographic
    http://www.iie.org/Research-and-Publications/Open-Doors/Data/International-Students/Leading-Institutions/2012-13

Draft saved Draft deleted