1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TMZ reporting Jennifer Capriati hospitalized after overdose.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by old_tony, Jun 27, 2010.

1. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

http://www.tmz.com/

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

[blue]I'm shocked.[/blue]

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone would be shocked. But it is sad that she made it all the way back from where she was, got to the top and now is back in the sewer.

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Not a whole lot of info in that item, maybe someone will do some actual reporting if there's something more to this.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

She clearly had addictive tendencies that weren't addressed during her sabbatical. I mean, look at how buff she was when she came back. If she wasn't on the juice, then nobody was.

6. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

I'm trying to weigh my distrust of TMZ with Capriati's penchant for self-destructive behavior, and I'm sorry to say TMZ actually comes off as credible in this instance.

And that's sad for me, because I was a huge Capriati fan. I started paying attention to tennis right around the time she had her first meltdown, and I was one of her biggest fans when she made her recent comeback.

I had been getting nervous, too, because we hadn't heard from her in quite a while, which usually is bad news for an athlete with a checkered past. They have trouble laying low. They're either doing something really positive and want to publicize it, or they're doing something that they don't want anyone to know about.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Her parents should have just let her sail around the world instead of shoving her off to tennis camps.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, I'd place quite a bit of money on Capriati, and Serena Williams for that matter, having juiced at some point in their careers.

9. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Capriati Family -- Prescription Meds Caused OD
    42 minutes ago by TMZ Staff
    Jennifer Capriati's family says the former tennis star is still hospitalized after an overdose this weekend -- and they say prescription meds are to blame.

TMZ broke the story -- Jennifer was taken to a hospital early Sunday morning when paramedics responded to a call for an accidental overdose.

Jennifer's family tells us she is "recuperating at a South Florida hospital from an accidental overdose of medication prescribed to Jen by her personal physicians."

They were not specific about what drugs she was prescribed.

Jennifer has admitted suffering from depression and having suicidal thoughts.

http://www.tmz.com/2010/06/28/jennifer-capriati-family-overdose-prescription-medication-tennis-star/

10. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

So, how do docs approach prescribing medications to recovering addicts? I mean, who knows if what she OD'd on was even addictive, but that has struck my curiosity. Can they just have the patient report to them to dispense medication?

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It doesn't matter if you're a recovering addict or just some Joe off the street. Usually getting pain meds is about as easy as going to the local urgent care place and asking for them.

12. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Or in the case of this recently infamous doctor in our area, getting prescription drugs if you are a female addict is as easy as providing some special services.....

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10175/1067956-54.stm

Draft saved Draft deleted