1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TMZ: Owen Wilson hospitalized

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rufino, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Exactly... Karma can be a bitch...

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Not sure who's worse -- us or TMZ message boardians.

Anyway, on screen Owen Wilson comes off as likable. He may not be a great actor but he's usually fun to watch.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm not defending having affairs with married women, but it seems like Hudson's marriage was going to end even if she hadn't met Wilson.
    Maybe it was the whole 'Butterscotch Bandit' thing. Maybe Chris Robinson wouldn't that for her.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I liked Bottle Rocket, and I like his brother a lot, but I've never understood Owen's appeal. He just strikes me as a vastly overrated comedic actor and by counts seems like a total jerkoff in real life...

For the record, I'm glad his attempt was unsuccessful... ;D

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

He also co-wrote 'Bottle Rocket,' 'Rushmore' and 'The Royal Tennenbaums.'

6. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

http://extratv.warnerbros.com/2007/08/update_inside_owen_wilsons_med.php

A spokesman for Cedars-Sinai tells "Extra" today that Owen Wilson is "in good condition" at the hospital.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

To be clear, my first post said no one should have to feel that helpless and I hope he gets the help he needs.

My second post was in response to someone saying he was sad he got dumped.

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I understand the point you're making, but it's not always as simple as the worst life being the one most likely to end itself. There's people out there with great jobs, loving families, lots of money, respect from everyone, everything's coming up Milhouse, and then one night they pull a gun out of their nightside stand and splatter their brains against the bedroom wall of the newly-bought five-bedroom rancher in the good part of town.

Sure, sometimes suicide is the means to an end. But other times, it's the final blow in an existence that seems hopelessly gray and impregnable to happiness, no matter how happy they *should* be. And that, I bet, makes it worse. It's one thing to be unhappy and understand why. It's another thing to know that you life an enviable life, because that makes it impossible to explain to anyone why you want to end that life. Try telling a friend that you bought a Mercedes yesterday and you spent a good part of today curled up in the backseat crying like a baby that lost his binkie because ... everything just hurts so god damned much. Try going to a party and completely shutting down because you're scared, thrusting your hands in your pockets and gamely fighting tears because ... you're not even sure why, you just want to go home, except you don't really want to go home because you'll just be sad there too. Try being among friends and, in the back of your mind, thinking you're the most unlikable human being ever, that the next time you open your mouth, you're going to run them off forever and you'll be alone until you die. Try being alive only because you're just a little more scared of dying than you are sick of living, a product of an internal default setting instead of any desire to exist. Try thinking that if you can't be happy when everything's falling your way, what sort of fresh hell is about to be wrought upon you when you HAVE a reason to be down.

I don't know this guy and I haven't intentionally seen his movies. But if he tried to kill himself, it just means there's something wrong with him, not that we're all fucked because he's got the life of Riley and tried to do himself anyway. Which probably wasn't really your point, but that line of thinking always bothered me, and this was an outlet to tap that vein.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

Sound familiar? Lohan-ish?

TMZ has obtained the following statement from Owen Wilson:

"I respectfully ask that the media allow me to receive care and heal in private during this difficult time."

Andrew Wilson, Owen and Luke's older brother, was spotted by TMZ cameras going into Cedars Sinai Hospital in Los Angeles late this morning. Andrew ignored questions about his brother's condition.

According to People, Luke also visited Owen last night.

10. audreyld

audreyld Guest

"Try going to a party and completely shutting down because you're scared, thrusting your hands in your pockets and gamely fighting tears because ... you're not even sure why, you just want to go home, except you don't really want to go home because you'll just be sad there too.

Try being alive only because you're just a little more scared of dying than you are sick of living, a product of an internal default setting instead of any desire to exist."

These two lines are now immortalized in my quote book. Well put, sir.

11. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Wife's cousin attempted suicide last week. Floored us all. This woman had come through horrible parenting and sacrificed many, many years of her life to raise a great son, who had just graduated with honors from college. I would say I admire her more than just about anybody I know, as it could not have been easy to do the quality job she did with her son on her own and with the role model she had as a parent, she could have been a crack whore and had it excused.

Took over 200 pills and went to bed. She survived, thank God. When she woke up, we had all left the hospital because we knew it was going to be hard for her to deal with this and to do it with a bunch of people around would make it damn near impossible. But she was shocked the whole family essentially dropped what they were doing to get to the hospital. Unbelievable the power our brains have to totally override all reality.

12. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

From quite a distance, I get the sense that stars (be it Hollywood, music, sports) are some of the most miserable people on the planet. I don't buy for a second the "You're rich -- what do you have to be sad about?" argument.

Draft saved Draft deleted