1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TJ surgery for Pujols??

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Sep 9, 2008.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080908&content_id=3441558&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb&partnerId=rss_mlb

Early March is six months from now.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

My understanding was that Pujols knew a long time ago that he would need Tommy John surgery eventually, but he decided to at play through the injury for at least this season. It would make a lot of sense for him to have the procedure as soon as possible once the Cardinals are eliminated. But with the Cardinals only four games out of the Wild Card, it looks like he's going to have to put the surgery off long enough that he could miss the start of the '09 season.

3. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Yup.. he's played through it for at least a season and a half, if memory serves.

4. outofplace

That sounds right. I remember when this came up during Spring Training, it came out that this was hurting him through much of the 2007 season. Killed his draft position in fantasy baseball leagues. (Hi spnited!) because it really sounded like there was a good chance that he would have to cut this season short and have the surgery.

5. Scouter

Scouter Member

I'm not sure why everyone made a big stink about his elbow issues this year. Everyone in St. Louis has known it's been hurt since the start of the 2003 season. The rest of the country reacted like it had been some big secret.

I don't think he'll have the surgery this offseason. He wants to play in the WBC and the All-Star Game is at Busch next year.

6. outofplace

Risking blowing it out during the 2009 season so he can play in the WBC is a terrible idea. And if he only misses a little time to start '09, the self-proclaimed best fans in the world will do enough ballot-box stuffing to get him in the All-Star game even if his production isn't up to its usual levels.

7. Scouter

Scouter Member

I agree possibly putting it off to play in the WBC is a dumb idea, but the dude has put it off for five years because he's that much of a competitor.

I hope he gets the surgery, but I don't think he will.

8. outofplace

I thought the pain had gotten significantly worse during the 2007, but I'm trusting my memory of stories I read six or seven months ago.

9. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Get the surgery now, AP. Perhaps Chris Young can recommend a good doctor for you.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

It's no surprise really. Don't most 45-year old baseball players need TJ surgery at some point?

:D :D :D

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I wonder what caused this breakdown.

12. outofplace

I'm shocked at this response

I really expected the Cardinals logo with the needle. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted