1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TJ Simers slams rival paper

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Almost_Famous, Aug 8, 2006.

1. ogre

ogre Member

At least when Simers calls the Dodgers dead, they stay dead. This piece is more about laughing at Dilbeck than anything else. Nice to see the Times' columnists are working again after taking the entire summer off.

2. tmunson

tmunson New Member

Plaschke wrote the same thing as the Daily News columnist.

3. Billy Monday

Billy Monday Member

It was hilarious.

If you're Dilbeck, you chuckle about it all day and slap Simers on the back the next time you see him.

4. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

Dilbeck today:

http://www.dailynews.com/stevedilbeck/ci_4154154

Enough, already. I'm actually embarrassed. Feeling all flushed. Come on now, please, stop it.
    Cease the congratulatory letters, the flattering e-mails. Do need to free the cell phone for professional use. And if the back gets patted one more time, it'll become my chest.

Yes, it's become clear to everyone by now I single-handedly turned the Dodgers' season around.

They were a bunch of sad mopes, bent on self-destruction and plenty of unsightly baseball when I last visited our Boys in Blue. They had lost eight consecutive games and 13 of 14. They were fighting in the dugout, silent in the clubhouse and shrinking in the standings.

So I cleverly wrote them off. Said they were done. Dead team walking. That they not only lacked life, but simple spark.

And look at them now!

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

So did everybody.

Simers is going to do what Simers is going to do. It made me laugh, and that's good enough. If you take his shit personally, he WILL make your life hell. Better to enjoy him for what he is, and not let him get under your skin.

6. Gold

Gold Active Member

so you let a bully have his way, buck weaver? another example of TJ Simers's snottiness

Dilbeck's column is funnier than TJ's and a lot easier to read.

Oh but sorry, I forgot TJ SImers's columns were pure genius. Who doesn't pick up a sports section to read about a loudmouth idiot sports columnist.

I read the post and I realized something.... people thought a second-rate hack comic like Andy Kaufman was a genius - and what it was in Andy Kaufman's case was just that he had incredible audacity and you kind of laughed because you couldn't believe anybody could do something so goofy. Dying was Andy Kaufman's best career move, because it saved a retrospective look in which people would have realized Andy Kaufman really wasn't that funny.

7. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

I like your take on Andy Kaufman, Gold.

Dead on.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, at least the Special Olympics has winners... ;D

9. Redd Smith

Redd Smith New Member

Dillbeck's retort wasn't funny.

10. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

Wow, that terd of a column was beyond bad.

Coming soon on the SJ jobs board, "LA Daily News Seeks Columnist."

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I think they need a sports editor first.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Read both columns. Simers is blah as always. Dilbeck's is kind of humorous, but not earthshattering.

You want a columnist in L.A.? Krikorian.

Draft saved Draft deleted